To the person who dumped 40 pekins on the side of the road..

Heidi and Brian, I can't wait to see the pictures!

Here are pictures of my 5 today.. They just got new little sisters! I got a runner and a campbell to put under our broody goose who isn't sitting on eggs.. Stupid stubborn geese.
roll.png

Anyways, they are so happy! They enjoy eating, swimming, and pretending to fly. They're working on getting names, but I have decided they will all be royal names.

Here is them pretending to fly..

14706_dscn1484.jpg

And here is a picture of the group of them.. Sorry it's bad, but I was on one side of the stream, they were on the other, and the geese were in the middle. They are EVIL and it was hot out. Veeery hot.

14706_dscn1479.jpg

Just for kicks and giggles, this is a picture of their new little sisters, Cissy the runner th and Bella the khaki campbell (Narcissa and Bellatrix from the HP series). They were about to meet their new mom.. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped, but that just means I get to cuddle them for another day.
smile.png

14706_dscn1475.jpg

Here's my 6 today at treat time. They seem to have fallen in with my 4 younger Appleyards. The 10 of them always hang out together. It was an easy transition into the flock. All the muscovy shun them, but then the muscovy shun all the other ducks too. Muscovy can be terribly stuck up.
lol.png
And the new guys have already learned that I bring the treat bucket. They come running with all the others when they see me.... like they've been here forever.

35720_new5.jpg

35720_new6.jpg

35720_new7.jpg

35720_new8.jpg

Great pictures MysticalMom! Your ducks are beautiful--all of them. Really like the 3 in the front of the first picture. I didn't know Muscovies were "snobby", they are definately the next breed of duck I want to add to my little flock.

Thanks. The ones in the front that you're talking about are my young Silver Appleyards. Big comical ducks. And loud... almost as loud as those pekins. lol

Mystical - You have a beautiful flock. Very big colorful healthy eclectic flock of ducks.
wink.png

So lets see 6 pekins, 4 appleyards, multiple muscovy, is that a rouen pair? and a bibbed black swedish? Love 'em all!

I have 5 magpies, 2 buffs, 3 runners, and 7 muscovy (6 are babies)...I want to add appleyards to mine as well...

Mystical - thank you so much for helping PFF rehome some of those pekin guys, they look OH SO HAPPY!

wee.gif

Quote:
Lets see ( I'm getting so many I'm losing count) 6 pekins, 8 Appleyards, 8 scovies, yep thats a rouen pair, and I have a pair of the black swedish, 2 runners still in the brooder ( but not for much longer!) and an appleyard/khaki cambpell cross drake who's an absolute menace!!! Oh and 2 of the 'scovy girls are setting on about 30 eggs total. Yep.. I think thats everybody. ( haha and I just remembered that's all in my signature line lol) I've promised the DH no more, but he knows better and I'd really like to have some Welsh Harlequins and some Saxony's.. a few more runners...oh and maybe a pair of Embden gees.... and.... uh oh.. I hope he doesn't see this thread.
wink.png

I love the Appleyards... you'll really enjoy them. Big loud, clumsy, comical adorable ducks.

And helping PFF and those Pekins was a no brainer.. as soon as I heard their story I knew I wanted to give some of them a good loving, spoiled rotten home.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Mystical Mom, I am able to tell the drakes apart because one looked like Elvis and one is smaller.. And then I have one small girl, one big girl, and one light billed girl.
smile.png
I might have saved unique ones for myself.. Maybe.
tongue.png
( I am remembering when Heidi, pish posh, had caught one of the ducks I had earmarked for myself.. My mom politely told her I may have a fit if she took it with her. ) PS your flock is gorgeous!

My 5 were very upset with me today because I left them in the chicken coop all day.. Ignore the fact that they can get into a nice, big chicken run.. They want FREEDOM and the stream. I put my 4 cayugas/swedish/whatever black things with bills Ideal sent me in with them, and the pekins enjoy running them around the coop. Suddenly, my ducks are extremely friendly and want to be taken back inside.
roll.png
Duck politics are crazy..

I took pictures of them, but I've misplaced my camera. Hopefully, I'll find it and take pictures of a nice integrated duck flock tomorrow, like Mystical Mom's.
smile.png

Quote:
I want to name mine too... but how on earth do you tell them apart?
big_smile.png

One thing I've done in the past is to put on different velcro colored leg bands. If you are somewhat handy you could apply a little snap to them so they don't fall off (which they will eventually do
tongue.png
)

My internet has been out for days!
he.gif
Anyways, I took some pictures of my 5 darlings and their new roommates.
smile.png
The two flocks refuse to integrate, possibly because my 4 ducks are younger? I dunno, I think that the pekins want to be friends with them, but the cayugas and swedish don't understand why the huge white ducks are running at them. The pekins are so happy here though, even though they're not living up to their reputation as the loudest duck ever. Such a turnaround from what they were about 3 weeks ago. I'd love to hear updates on the other ones we sent out!

14706_dscn1528.jpg

They seem to like to sit in the broody cage we have in there. I always find two or three of them jamming themselves in there to sleep.
tongue.png
They have names now.. Krissie the Quacker Queen, Sir Waddlesworth, Prince Duckington, Princess Puddles, and Linda, Duckess of the Loch. I know the names are a bit ridiculous, but the story of these ducks are a bit ridiculous and I felt that they needed to be recognized in a proper way.

14706_dscn1523.jpg

These are the new kids, Lavender (crested blue swedish), Daisy (black swedish in the back), Daffy (the cayuga in front of Lav, even though he is the smallest), and Delilah (in the front). They have been requesting royal names as well and threatened to dump themselves to get them. Here is Lav trying to appeal to my better nature.. After all, she does have a crown already.
tongue.png

14706_dscn1526.jpg

PS, I'm pretty sure the duck-dumper struck again with roosters this time.. I found Ferdinand, my new barred-something terror in the same spot near the lake as the ducks with another rooster. Unfortunately, the other rooster ran into the woods, but Ferd now roams our property. I just can't say no to dumped animals, even if I have enough roosters.. He seems happy to patrol, luckily. People make me so mad!
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom