To the person who dumped 40 pekins on the side of the road..

Apparently my wife saw this happening and just forgot to say anything to me! Not that I have any space I can put more ducks in right now. She even saw you guys trying to get them into the car! I am guessing he tried to dump them into the lake there in Boyds?

Glad that they have generally been spread out in happier places! Good on you to take the time and effort to rescue them all.

They're here! ( Thank you slackwater ( and your 3 fantastic and patient kiddos) for going to pick them up!) I ended up with 6 of them.
ya.gif
5 big girls and a boy. They're all in a temporary pen for a couple of days to get everybody a chance to get used to each other and they'll be playing in the creek with the rest of the flock in no time.

When slackwater opened the back of her SUV and 9 pekins were quacking like crazy the first thing I thought was.... "HOLY COW.. and Pff did that with 50+?"
th.gif
I thought my Appleyards were something.. but pekins can really quack!
lol.png

I'll take some pics in a day or two.

Thanks you Pff for my new pekins and for what you did for all 50 of them!

I live in WV and would love to take some if they can get to me. I have Lupus and RA and don't travel well.
smile.png
I can do two hours tops, in any direction of 25979

Thanks everyone, as always! I am so glad most of them are home and safe! They seem to be very good at adjusting to new conditions..
smile.png
The last few have been very good lately and we're deciding how many we want to keep and name. They officially know where they live and one of my chickens has joined their flock. She's a very weird, little black chicken who hates nearly everything.. But she's been sleeping in their mass o' white and waits for them to come in for the night. I think they think she's funny.. She was standing on the edge of their water pan today and they were just nibbling at her a bit, playfully. Very cute.

I have one cute picture for the past couple days.. This is one of the drakes that slackwater/MysticalMom took, running around my mom's store. He was hiding behind a counter trying to be sneaky about escaping..

14706_dscn1461.jpg

Also, if you live in the California area, new member TAWhatley (Terry) rescues dumpees and has some available! I know a lot of people said that they wish they were closer, so I'm hoping to stir up some attention for her. This is her website: http://www.villagepondrescue.com/ Contact her if you're interested!

PS.. WadeMD
gig.gif
Did we look ridiculous? I'm guessing we did. It was quite a spectacle!

What a story! I can't believe some people....how CRUEL to leave them to fend for themselves...and what a change in the photos...they look so clean now
smile.png
I myself have 3 Mallards and 3 Cayuga ducklings. I love them even though none of them are overly friendly. That may change with extra peas!
wink.png
Thank goodness for your kind hearts...What a fantastic story!! I would love to take one or two if I could convince the DH...I live in NY, how many are left to adopt out?

Quote:
I *think* that is the drake that I have - he was the smaller of the 2.

Between myself and MysticalMom, I think we have 9 very happy Pekins. My three (as MM said, she took 5 girls & a boy, and I took 2 girls & a boy) are currently confined to our duck "nighttime" pen with a 50gal water trough - but it doesn't seem to phase them. I won't have any more natural source of water until my husband digs a pond, but...we enjoy watching them create a ruckus in their artificial "pond." THe kids love them, too
smile.png

Thanks to PFF for picking them up & taking such great care of them, and being flexible so taht I could come up on Friday (and take one fewer than originally planned - it was a comprimise w/my DH, who about choked when I told him that, when our two runners were lost, we were now getting 4-5 Pekins & 10+ runners - so we settled on the 3 Pekins
smile.png
MM was nice enough to take 6 to keep me out of hte doghouse (which is, consequently, where the Pekins are sleeping)! Nice to meet both you and MM!

Back
Top Bottom