Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Why do you want to get rid of the single comb?

We live in Minnesota, a single comb is not good here. They freeze off, frostbite makes them and open sore or doorway for infection. The time and energy required to heal the comb can go into reproduction or growth of the birds. A rooster with a frostbit comb in not into breeding. They are just a problem for us here in the north.

This thread is for those that plan to raise toads.

As I have said is several threads I am about ready to start selling toad eggs. I will be selling them on the Buy/sell ad on BYC. I will lay the terms down there.

I want people to try and make this a self sustaining meat bird.

I do not think you will need to limit feed on the toads like those of you that have tried to raise CX's have done. I do not limit feed, however, I do occasional let mine go hungry for a day to use extra fat up.

You can raise them however you want. My dream for this site is for us to discuss how they are growing problems and so forth.

To me the Toad is the perfect meat bird. For some of you this is a re-hash for others it will be new, so all my BYC friends that have seen these pictures just hang n there.

I really want to have more people try to make these sustainable. I would prefer you not process all the Toads you get this year but try to over winter them to get more toads. I have only eaten a couple roosters so far.

I am interested in how they do in different climates. I would like to see them go to some NPIP places so I could get some back if I need to.

Here are some pictures:

The ruling Bert, the Grand dad of this generation of Toads.

Above is a turkey and Toad of the same age, Toad is on the right! 15.5 Pounds.

I am interested in some toads [email protected]

The Toad is a 4 step process,

The first Generation is Cx crossed to CX,, That is known as a frog

Next Generation is a Frog to a Dixie Rainbow, This becomes a lizard
Then the lizard is crossed back to the CX.

That gives you a toad, it is 7/8th CX and 1/8 Dixie rainbow. That little Rainbow gives a bigger bird that does not eat itself to death.
They are huge with more dark meat to white meat ratio. They are not lazy slobs.

The hard part was keeping CX's alive long enough to breed them. The Toads are not problem. They seem to live longer than the CX's.
Thanks
The Toad is a 4 step process,

The first Generation is Cx crossed to CX,, That is known as a frog

Next Generation is a Frog to a Dixie Rainbow, This becomes a lizard
Then the lizard is crossed back to the CX.

That gives you a toad, it is 7/8th CX and 1/8 Dixie rainbow. That little Rainbow gives a bigger bird that does not eat itself to death.
They are huge with more dark meat to white meat ratio. They are not lazy slobs.

The hard part was keeping CX's alive long enough to breed them. The Toads are not problem. They seem to live longer than the CX's.

Thanks for your input on my question. I really want to try your cross. Can you help a newbie out on the terms: Cx is what? CX is what? Sorry, very new to chickens (7 months) and still learning abbreviations. Also, as of today, how has your cross been; growth, health, etc?

What do you think about crossing the Cornish Cross *hen* meat bird w/a WHITE LEGHORN (a relatively thin bird) or to a RHODE ISLAND RED rooster? Would crossing a thin bird to this meaty bird result in a healthier, slightly less meatier bird? Thanks.

What do you think about crossing the Cornish Cross *hen* meat bird w/a WHITE LEGHORN (a relatively thin bird) or to a RHODE ISLAND RED rooster? Would crossing a thin bird to this meaty bird result in a healthier, slightly less meatier bird? Thanks.

I used a rainbow which is a meat cross, I wanted the larger frames than a laying breed would give me.

I crossed a Cornish cross to cream crested legbars last year (it was whoever breed her and that was who did it lol). The chicks were happy, healthy, and energetic. They are adults now and I have a trio. I'll have to get a picture. They're not huge birds but they're big and very solid. The roo is very energetic. He can catch any hen with no trouble and breed her. The hens are quick on their feet and love to free. I'm curious what I'm going to get from them in the next generation.

The CX hen I used seems to have had barred Rock or something in her... Her white sons, which are out of a non barred roo, are producing barred cockerels and white cockerels some with black or red feathers.... When 1/2 CX are bred to br I have gotten a few barred pullets... I had no barred roos...
The CX was from town line hatchery

I'm experiencing the same thing with my CX mixes. I bred my CX hen to a Blue Orpington and got one splash and three black pullets. I just hatched out some chicks from those girls and half of them are feathering in barred. I have no barred birds at all here, so it had to have come from the CX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom