Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Wow, I love these chickens. I’m not a meat eater but I think they are pretty awesome for people who enjoy hobby bird keeping like myself. I always wanted a big meat bird just to exist in my flock lol.
(And of course great for those who eat the birds! At least they don’t kill themselves on feed and can walk!)

so I tripped over these, big sur, anyone try them?
.. they sound sorta like toads
" The Big Sur chicken is a cross between a Cornish Cross male and red colored female. Big Sur chicks grow out to 5.5-6.0 pounds in 10 weeks. While still considered a slow growing chicken, the Big Sur will fill out more quickly than the Rolin S.
Big Sur broilers will produce the large breast that consumers expect, and grow more slowly than conventional Cornish Cross. These chickens can be raised outside on pasture, in a controlled climate housing, or a combination of both. These birds grow to be about 90% white feathered with some red feathers. A higher yield of breast meat and better feed conversion makes this bird ideal for those of you trying to split the difference between a fast growing Cornish Cross and slow growing red broiler. "

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BigSurCh...32648&BirdType=Chicken&Breed=Big Sur#MoreInfo

so I tripped over these, big sur, anyone try them?
.. they sound sorta like toads
" The Big Sur chicken is a cross between a Cornish Cross male and red colored female. Big Sur chicks grow out to 5.5-6.0 pounds in 10 weeks. While still considered a slow growing chicken, the Big Sur will fill out more quickly than the Rolin S.
Big Sur broilers will produce the large breast that consumers expect, and grow more slowly than conventional Cornish Cross. These chickens can be raised outside on pasture, in a controlled climate housing, or a combination of both. These birds grow to be about 90% white feathered with some red feathers. A higher yield of breast meat and better feed conversion makes this bird ideal for those of you trying to split the difference between a fast growing Cornish Cross and slow growing red broiler. "

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BigSurChickens.cfm?affiliate=undef&ID=BIG&CustID=20132648&BirdType=Chicken&Breed=Big Sur#MoreInfo

I saw they have something similar available here as well.
https://www.moyerschicks.com/product/robust-white-day-old-chicks/

Toad update..

The crappiest hatching season in my life continues. I have two toad eggs in the hatcher. Neither appears to be going to hatch.

I have yet to hatch a toad this year. I might have hit a dead end. I do not think the others with toads around me are doing much better.

Also I noticed a disturbing trend last night. I have this guy he is a inside the barn free ranger. He was too mean to the younger roosters so he went inside with three girls for the winter. Then I have the younger guys outside. He is 50% larger than the yearlings. This worries me that I might be losing size in future generations. My goal was a large sustainable bird.

They are still large but not the super large a Bert should be. If the buckeyes take size from the toads also I could be back to just a normal dual purpose breed. I do not want that!.......

His pictures:

IMG_8829 (2).JPG
IMG_8837 (2).JPG

As you can see he is taller than a 6 gallon bucket and he is larger around than a 6 gallon bucket. He would not fit in it.

I think the younger ones would fit with ease..Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom