Toby and Daisy

quakingtons

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 20, 2014
Tampa
So my two Pekin ducks have been happily living in my backyard now for a couple months, they are each 6 months old and I have figured out that I have a female and a male. Today I went outside to change their water and food and I found two eggs, they were not even close to each other in their large, fenced area of my backyard and neither of the ducks were even paying attention to them. I have no clue what to do, I know she will be laying eggs regardless of their being a male involved, but I am not sure if they have a baby duckling in them or if I should touch them or what to do at all. Please help!!!!

Bring them in and eat them. Unless you think they have been sitting out there for a while. In order to get ducklings they must be fertile and incubated. You have fertile eggs but nothing will ever become of them unless she or you incubates them for 28 days, I believe. They will not start to develop unless they are incubated, So don't fear keep them to eat.

Last edited:
So if the ducks sit on them and care for them I should leave them? Other than that I take them and eat them? I'm just confused, each one has the potential to be a baby if she wants it to be, because I thought ducks could lay eggs regardless of having a male, they just won't have babies in them. I'm super confused haha:/

Ducks will lay eggs without a male bit they will never ever be fertile.
If you have a male, they will be fertile.
If you take them out of the nest straight away and into the fridge.. nothing will become of the egg but if she sits on them, she is incubating them and they will evenutally hatch . :)

But how can I know that they are fertile or not. I just assume they are because I have a male too? I just don't wanna incubate an underutilized egg haha thank you for your help. Is it normal that my female is strangely quiet today, this is the first time she lays eggs and she is usually very very loud.

Back
Top Bottom