Today (April 5th) is day 21 & we have 2 chicks under Mama so far!

When I got home late this afternoon it was very disappointing. I apoligized; this is long and rambling.

When Mama got broody we left her in the nest and planned to move her when the chicks hatched. FIRST MISTAKE.

We were anxious to move her because we were worried the chicks that had hatched might fall out of the nest. We took the nest off the wall and put it on the floor so it wouldn't be such a big fall if that happened.

When I got home I looked into window as I walked to the hen house and I saw Mama and the 5 chicks on the floor. I ran into the henhouse and several of the other hens followed me. Mama immediately puffed up and tried to get all the chicks under her. I called for my husband and we got all the other hens out and shut up the hen house so they couldn't come in. When we left this morning there were 3 eggs with pips and 3 without pips. When I looked into the nest, there were 2 dead chicks; still wet and cold. Two eggs had pips and other 2 were unpipped. All the eggs were cold.

I'm guessing the chicks started to jump out of the nest and Mama followed, abandoning the remaining eggs. I don't know if the 2 chicks were already hatched and her leaving the nest let them get cold, or if they hatched after she left the nest and they got cold and died.

Our plan had been to set up our dog cage in the hen house for Mama and the chicks. We immediately brought it in. I set up a cardboard box in the dog cage that was very close in size to the nest and put the eggs in it, but Mama wouldn't go into the box. She seems more interested in the chicks than the eggs. I moved the eggs several times trying to get them under her, but she kept moving around with the chicks. I noticed that one of the eggs smelled bad. It was the egg with the most debris from the broken egg. We removed it; it turned out to be rotten. We candled the other unpiped egg and I think it looks OK.

The 2 pipped eggs were chirping and tapping, but they were cold. I panicked and did what I said I wouldn't do; I tried to help one of them hatch. But it was too early. The yoke is not yet absorbed. I feel sooo bad. I had removed most of the shell and stopped when I saw the unabsorbed yoke. There is about 1/3 of the shell left at the back/bottom of the chick. The chick kept trying get out of the shell. I searched for advice on the forum and found a thread where someone said they stopped letting only the head out. They then wrapped the remaining egg in a damp paper towel and wrapped in saran wrap and put in back in the incubator. We don't have an incubator. I don't want to put it back under Mama, she would probably peck at it. I wrapped all of the chick, but her head, in a damp paper towel and then wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. I guess I'm trying to re-create the egg atmosphere. We put her on a towel in the bathtub and suspended a reptile heat lamp above her. (I keep calling it a her, but who knows?). We've got the temperature around 95 degrees. If she is still alive in the morning, I will change the paper towel and plastic wrap and hope the unabsorbed yoke is smaller. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Since then I checked again on Mama and she had moved into the nest/box with the chicks and the 2 remaining eggs were outside the box and cold. I moved them both under her. I could hear a tapping noise in the pipped egg.

If we ever do this again, we will move the hen into a brood box right away. We will put less eggs under her. I think this may be why the hatch is so spread out; Mama had so many eggs some were often at the edge and I don't think they stayed as warm. Mama was very faithful to the eggs until the hatched chicks jumped out of the nest. If they'd been in a brooder earlier I don't think this would have been a problem. And I will NEVER help a chick hatch again.

So now we have 5 successfully hatched chicks, 3 unsuccessful eggs, 3 dead chicks, 1 chick hatched with unabsorbed yoke, 1 pip, and 1 unpiped. If we had done things differently, I think we'd have 8 chicks, 2 pips, and 1 unknown.

Oh no. I'm sorry. Please don't beat yourself up over this. We ALL learn lessons in life and keep in mind that you don't know for sure that the chicks would have lived either way. I'm sure you'll plan differently next time now that you're more experienced, so focus on that.

Keep us posted on how the little one you're caring for is doing. I've never had that happen, so I can't help you in that area. Hopefully someone else can. I'm sure you're being the best surrogate Mommy you can be to the little one. He, or she, is lucky you're there.
smile.png

Thank you for the encouraging words Kelly. But I admit it's hard right now not to beat myself up.

The chick with the unabsorbed yoke it still alive, but just barely. It was a difficult night. She woke me up several times. First, she escaped from my paper towel/plastic wrap and was dragging the remaining shell. There was blood. I was worried the shell would tear off, so I used a scissors and cut the connection. There was some more blood. I rewrapped her in paper towel/plastic wrap. I did this twice, but she was very active and kept using her legs to get it off. So I wrapped it leaving her legs out. That was around 2AM. I fell asleep and woke up shortly before 6AM. She was quiet. I went into the bathroom. She had gotten out of the wrapping again and crawled off the towel down to the drain. She was cold. I picked her up and she was very weak, not the rambunctious chick she was when I fell asleep. I've gotten her warm, but she's gone downhill through the morning. I breaks my heart, but I think it's only a matter of time until she dies.

The worse part is when I went into the hen house this morning, the other pipped egg had hatched and we had another beautiful fluffy chick. All I could think was if I had only left that egg alone yesterday . . . . .

We still have one remaining egg. Today is day 23. Mama has let it get cold several times in this transition out of the nest. It's a brown egg with speckles. We candled it yesterday. It has a large air pocket and we can't see through the rest. The line between the air pocket and the rest of the egg is pretty smooth. How long should I wait before giving up on this egg? Could it be another rotten egg? I would hate to have it explode all over Mama and the new chicks. Does anyone have any advice?

I think I will feel better once the chick that I hatched too early and this remaining egg are resolved and I can try to put it behind me. I feel so bad that we lost 2 chicks due to our failure to get Mama out of the nest earlier and lost 2 because we got too impatient and interfered with the hatch. But, I need to remember that despite the failures, WE HAVE 6 BEAUTIFUL CHICKS.

6BabyChicks.jpg

Hi Deborah,

I'm on day 20 with my first-time broody, so I thought I'd show my support.
smile.png

I can't say what to do with the remaining egg. It's one of those hard things about "letting mamma do it." I went into this thinking I'd just let nature take it's course, but it's hard to stand by and just be still.

I think everyone who does this learns that they would do a lot of things differently the next time. You have six adorable babies in that picture...congratulations for that!

Deb it is a learning process just like everything else in life. Actually you and moma did a pretty darn good job for the first time with 6 new babies to show for it. You have 3 buff orp x ameraucana, 2 RIR x ameraucana and 1 HAWK baby! I hope your HAWK takes after her mom and lays beautiful BLUE eggs for you.
My grandson named one of the EE girls Hawk because he said she looked like a hawk. Ya awta she the chickens run when I go out and call for HAWWWWWK!
lau.gif

If the chick has not even pipped through the air cell, it probably is not a viable egg anymore. If it were me, I would let moma take care of her new brood now and be very happy for the 6 beautiful chicks you have.
Gayle

An update:

The chick I helped hatch too early has died.

My husband cracked open the remaining egg. He said there was a fully developed chick in it, but it was dead.

But he just called me and said he found one of the 6 chicks dead. He says it looks like it was smothered. It was blue around the air vent on its beak. He thinks Mama may have sat on it without realizing it.

It was one of the more yellow chicks. I don't know how we can make sure this doesn't happen again. It's still pretty cold here; the hen house got down to 41 degrees last night. So they crowd under Mama. Has anyone had this problem?

Deb,
I have a tiny bantam cochin taking care of 13 newly hatched chicks right now. They are just fine with mom keeping them warm. First time moms need to learn too. Give her a chance to raise the rest of her brood. OR, you can put them in a brooder and raise them yourself. Whatever you feel most comfortable with. If you take the chicks maybe mama will sit another batch of eggs for you. OR, if you want, come on over and I will give you a broody and some eggs. Then you can start all over again.
I feel bad that you feel so bad. It is sad to loose some of your first chicks but we have all been there and know how you feel. Rejoice in the ones that are thriveing. They could have been scrambled eggs today instead of happy peeping little balls of fluff.

An update:

The chick I helped hatch too early has died.

My husband cracked open the remaining egg. He said there was a fully developed chick in it, but it was dead.

But he just called me and said he found one of the 6 chicks dead. He says it looks like it was smothered. It was blue around the air vent on its beak. He thinks Mama may have sat on it without realizing it.

Deb,
I feel so sorry for you and I know that doesn't help much but you've had such a hard time. If you can take anything from this it's that with everything there is a time of learning not just for you but also for your mother hen. And, her priority is the babies that are alive and need cared for. Make that yours also. There's nothing you can do to help the ones that didn't make it, and we know you did everything you could for the little one that just passed, but you can help "mommy" keep an eye on her healthy babies. If it were me, I'd allow her to care for them herself. It's really the only way she's going to learn what mother nature hasn't already instilled in her. Your babies are beautiful and I know you and she must be very proud of them.

Kelly

p.s. New chick pics are welcome any time. =o)​

Last edited:
Thank you Gayle and Kelly for the kind words. Things are going better now and we are very happy with the job Mama is doing with the remaining chicks:

5Chicks.jpg

She is very protective of them. They are in the dog cage in the hen house. Whenever another hen comes in, Mama gathers the chicks behind her. They stick close to her and you can see them imitating her.

My husband gave me the wrong information on the phone yesterday about which chick had suffocated. It was not one of the light yellow ones; it was the larger RIR X ameraucana. The one that has it's back to the camera in the earlier picture.

Thank you very much Gayle for the offer. If the offer still stands, we may want to take you up on it, but not until the next time Mama (or one of our other hens) becomes broody. The chicks are so cute, I admit I've been tempted to bring them inside and raise them myself, but we're going to "let Mama do it". She's make a couple of mistakes, but overall she's doing a good job.

I am so pleased to have found this site. I don't post much; but I read a lot and have found it very helpful. Never more so than during this time. There were a lot of ups and downs these last few days. It helped to be able to write about it and the replies were very helpful. It makes me think maybe I should respond more to some of the threads I read. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom