Today I mourn the loss of my Little Hen Nugget

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Coconut Nugget, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Coconut Nugget

Coconut Nugget Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2012
    My story is sad and I am sad. Who would have thought in just 6+ months I would have come to love this chicken so much.

I adopted 4 Silkie Chicks on June of this year - one for each family member. Nugget happened to be mine - a Gray Silkie with a head of feathers like no other. She was a perfect choice for me since I have big hair myself, lol.

It also turned out she was the only Hen in the bunch, Yup I got the girl. My daughter who had picked a White Silkie named hers Molly and that changed as we found out he was a Rooster and then became Mr. Molly - lol. She was not very happy by that and I think Mr. Molly is not happy with his name being a boy either, just sayin'

Nugget was a sweet quiet girl who loved to be held and was always very docile as she strutted her amazing feathers. So darn cute for a bird.

Almost 2 weeks ago I noticed she was extra lethargic and just did not seem right. I immediately brought her in the house in a cage in the warmth. After 2 days of not seeing her eat I brought her to the vet who diagnosed her with Coccidiosis. I was given medicine to give her 2 times a day which I did. I also made sure she drank and would offer her mushed up food which she did not take all the time. She would not eat or drink on her own.

After a couple days of giving her medicine I added in some Electrolytes and Probiotics to her water from my local chicken store. She seemed to be doing a bit better and just the other night for the very first time I thought she had turned the corner and ate on her own. I gave her a hard boiled egg and she ate the whole thing along with some of her feed - I was so happy you have no idea. It was like my old Nugget had come back to me.

The next morning I held like I had been doing to give her her medicine and water and noticed all these bugs on me. Turned out to be Lice. Like a bunch just hatched - it was gross. She was scratching and did not look happy. So I did some research here and decided I would give her a bath in the dawn dish soap, Vinegar and Salt water. I also ran to my chicken store and bought some of the dust as well.

So I gave her a bath which did not bother her - she has had one before. I used the blow dryer to dry her feathers as she snuggled up against me. She was so thin, but she was very thin even at the start at her vet visit as well. Crazy how all those feathers can disguise that.

While I bathed her my hubby cleaned and dusted the cage she was staying in. After she was dry I added a little dust to her and rubbed it down into her feathers. It was gross to see all the lice surface and start dying off, but I bet it felt good to her to not be bitten.

BUT after all that she did not seem to come back to the old her I saw when she ate for the first time on her own. I got her to drink, but she just did not have the energy to stand and I just knew the end was near and I was a mess.

Yesterday as I held her and snuggled I noticed she started with slow labored breathing. She just did not seem like she had any more energy left to fight. I tried to get more fluids in her, but I knew this was it. I made her a nice comfy bed in a fluffy towel and said my good byes as I pet and kissed her. Later in the evening she passed on peacefully. I cried like a baby.

This fragile little bird was such a fighter and tried so hard to recover, but just couldn't. I think to myself did I do something wrong, could I have done more? Honestly I feel I did everything I could for her and more, but I will always question myself.

Nugget was so loved and spoiled. Today she will be buried under my favorite Cherry Tree in the yard where many of my other loved pets rest.

Now I have 3 lonely Roosters who I also love. They do not fight believe it or not and are like the three stooges. I guess come Spring I will get them some more friends, but I have to say again - It is crazy how attached we get to our Chickens. I am a HUGE pet lover with a house filled with pets - 3 Dogs, 5 Cats and 2 Hamsters - oh and lots of fish. They are all like my kids.

Sorry my story is not a happier one, but I had to share it makes me feel better to write.

[​IMG]

This is one of my favorite pictures of Nugget, I know crazy right? Yup it is her little butt, but a cute one at that. This is the day we let the chicks out in the house to play in a confined area.

[​IMG]

Here is one of Nugget as a chick on a sunny day out in the yard in their play pen feeling the grass.

[​IMG]

Here is me a Nugget over the summer out in the coop.

RIP Nugget - will miss you

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I am sorry you lost the little Nugget.
    I dread the day that I lose one.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a beauty. Sorry for your loss.

4. Coconut Nugget

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank You - just stinks. Being a pet owner can be so great and then so sad, UGH!!!

5. Coconut Nugget

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank You

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you loved her a lot. RIP Nugget.

It is kinda a bittersweet welcome, but, welcome to BYC.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Silkies can really steal your heart. I still cry over the loss of my dear Sophie puff...my hubby too. I hope you find another girl to fill the void in your heart.

8. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

She was a cute chickie :hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by