Today is day 18

rosa1347

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
Hey all, i'm sure by the time i get this post completed and some answers in things will turn out to be fine, but for the time being i just wanted to ask...

i put 26 eggs in the incubator at 9pm on the 21st.

today marks day 18, its almost 3 here and they have still not come. i don't notice any pipping on any other eggs but one but i'm not sure its pipped by the way its cracked.

This is my first set of eggs ever..

I'm hatching... or well trying to hatch, brown coturnix quail eggs. i'm super excited but i was hoping i'd have some sign of axtivity by now.

Advice?

If you look at other recent threads, someone just had coturnix eggs hatch on day 22. Not a very good hatch, but some did hatch. Apparently the humidity was too high. If the temp is too low, the'll also hatch late. But if your temp and humidity is fine, just relax and wait, nothing you can do about it anyway :)

If you look at other recent threads, someone just had coturnix eggs hatch on day 22. Not a very good hatch, but some did hatch. Apparently the humidity was too high. If the temp is too low, the'll also hatch late. But if your temp and humidity is fine, just relax and wait, nothing you can do about it anyway :)

I've found lots of threads about it and it honestly dosen't make me feel any better. this was my first time incubating any eggs and so far i feel like a complete failure.

i have however read about flaot testing. what do you think about doing that right now? its day 19

No. I would recommend waiting. I was in your place a few days ago and they all hatched except one. I realised I counted my first day as day 1, instead of day 0.so all hatched a day and a half late. Just hold your nerve.

I read most of the float testing thread on here, and if you do that, you'll realize you shouldn't discard eggs because of a float test. Unlike what the first post in the thread says, 'sinkers' can be live chicks just the same as floaters. Eggs that don't move, can be live chicks as well. Float testing puts the chicks at risk and pretty much doesn't tell yo anything, unless an egg is actually moving. You might try candling, but I don't think it's gonna tell you if the chicks are alive, it'll just tell you whether they have developed or not.

Honestly, just have patience. It's hard but the biggest issue is people not counting from Day0- Day18. The first day is day0

oh really? well i'm getting so many different info sources saying as soon as you get them to the right temp that starts day one... so today would be 18 then?

idk the gentalmen that sold me my eggs gave me two dozen instead of one.. and upon asking him how his chicks have done on his first hatch of the season, he said he got some peepers this morning... but he also told me if mine don't produce hatchlings he'd give me more eggs. he's a really nice guy.

regarless i read 100 to 101 for the temp and i don't have a humidity gage. right now i've had them make it to 102 twice sense lockdown which scares me and he told me vibrations could do more damage to them as they are developing and i had the incubator on my dryer.. because its the safest room in the house for them... so i'm thoroughly convinced i killed them

The dryer probably did it
hmm.png

ya, i believe so.. they still haven't hatched. i'm going to be seeing what stages they stopped at tomarrow evening. then i'm going to go invest in a new thermometer and a humidity reader and try again. He sold me 2 dozen at 5 bucks. so i think if i have them in my room on my dresser. 1. its a more stationary place and subject to less vibrations but 2. its in a space that won't be greatly effected by our air conditioner but mildly by the heat. hopfully this time they'll hatch. though i'm not too sure my son messed with them at lockdown so i'll be taping the incubator when lockdown comes around again.

Back
Top Bottom