Today is day 21?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Today is day 21, with my chicken eggs, how many days do I wait? I candled them with a tissue box around a light bulb. It worked good. I SAW BABIES, Anyway HOW MANY DAYS TO I NEED TO WAIT. And how many days before I throw the bads ones out? I know there were bad ones in there but I could not take them out. My first time. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your temps could have been on the low side so don't throw til day 25 or so.....

3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Yes the temp was down. The power went out for 9 hours because of a storm I covered them with a blanket but the temp went down to 90. So should I still be turning them. I was told not to turn them after day 18? [​IMG] produces Thank you
    Onew to chickens.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  4. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I think you are good. I'm on day 21 as well and on day 18 I reduced the temp to 99/98.8. I thought I would try something different. A member here at byc does this and has a really good hatch rate. Anyways - I've only had 3 pips and the remaining 12 eggs are being quiet. It's tough just sitting there - glad I'm working today. I did run home at lunch time to check and nothing more has happened. I'm sure you will have a pip soon. Can you hear any peeping going on?

5. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] I HAVE A PIP? IS that what you call it when the egg is cracked? [​IMG][​IMG][[​IMG]:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  6. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Yep. Can you hear it peeping at you? Congrats - you're on your way to brand new fluffy butts. [​IMG]

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Yep, sounds like your in the hatching buisness now.

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Could I hear it with the bator closed? I'm not going to open it. It's just a little crack about 1/4 inch in one spot and the same right above it. OH my goodness my heart is not going to make it. I can't sit still. My DH said to get out of the house. Im driving him crazy. LOL LOL LOL

9. Heidi

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Don't open the bator - you should be able to hear them peeping with it shut. I whistle then lean towards the bator and listen - they will peep. Yes, get out of the house - this hatching business will drive you mad.

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    [​IMG] not laughing at you-just know this will be me in a few weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by