Today is hatch day!!! First timer just excited!!!

Update. I have 8 babies and one trying to hang on. I’m going to let the rest of the eggs stay until tomorrow morning then I’m calling quits. Here’s some update pics of two guys. I’ll take pics of everyone over next few days.

Attachments

• IMG_5729.jpeg
    IMG_5729.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5694.jpeg
    IMG_5694.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5719.jpeg
    IMG_5719.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5720.jpeg
    IMG_5720.jpeg
    237 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5722.jpeg
    IMG_5722.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5723.jpeg
    IMG_5723.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5726.jpeg
    IMG_5726.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5730.jpeg
    IMG_5730.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 12
I usually candle the “last” eggs when I think I’m “done”.

I’ve had some late hatchers and have been surprised at times to find some internally pipped when I thought it was too late.

Worth a moment w a strong light. But, if there is no movement at all..... you are probably safe to pull the ones that are left....

If you are unsure, you can make a “safety hole” - on the fat end of the egg - large enough that you can see the chick - to be absolutely certain that there is no movement.
I use a pointed jewelers file, because I have one. But you can also use a wood/ pointy screw and just use your hand to twist it back and forth to get through the shell and into the air pocket. Then use the tip of the screw to chip out a few more pieces so you can see what’s going on.
I’ve kind of given up on “eggcropsys”, personally.... but I do usually still open the air cell end just to be certain that I’m not missing anyone who is late but trying-

I keep the coconut oil close by, and some more q tips, just in case.
..... I’ve yet to open a shell that showed no movement after I thought everyone should be out, and found a viable baby. But I do feel better being confident that I’m not tossing anyone that’s still trying!

I highly recommend that you grab a notebook (or make notes however you prefer to) about your hatch- eggs that were pulled early, how many didn’t hatch at the end, how many chicks you had, temp, humidity, # of days until first external pip- esp if you think you’d like to try this adventure again! 💕

*also! For next time- I would suggest getting some of the non slip “mats” like you would put under a rug, and have a piece cut to size- and put under the eggs when you pull your auto turner (or crank the humidity for lockdown if you hand turn)
It gives the babies more traction and can really help prevent a lot of the “common” leg problems that can come with/ be exacerbated by the slippery plastic ‘bator “floor” 😉

Last edited:
I usually candle the “last” eggs when I think I’m “done”.

I’ve had some late hatchers and have been surprised at times to find some internally pipped when I thought it was too late.

Worth a moment w a strong light. But, if there is no movement at all..... you are probably safe to pull the ones that are left....

If you are unsure, you can make a “safety hole” - on the fat end of the egg - large enough that you can see the chick - to be absolutely certain that there is no movement.
I use a pointed jewelers file, because I have one. But you can also use a wood/ pointy screw and just use your hand to twist it back and forth to get through the shell and into the air pocket. Then use the tip of the screw to chip out a few more pieces so you can see what’s going on.
I’ve kind of given up on “eggcropsys”, personally.... but I do usually still open the air cell end just to be certain that I’m not missing anyone who is late but trying-

I keep the coconut oil close by, and some more q tips, just in case.
..... I’ve yet to open a shell that showed no movement after I thought everyone should be out, and found a viable baby. But I do feel better being confident that I’m not tossing anyone that’s still trying!

I highly recommend that you grab a notebook (or make notes however you prefer to) about your hatch- eggs that were pulled early, how many didn’t hatch at the end, how many chicks you had, temp, humidity, # of days until first external pip- esp if you think you’d like to try this adventure again! 💕

*also! For next time- I would suggest getting some of the non slip “mats” like you would put under a rug, and have a piece cut to size- and put under the eggs when you pull your auto turner (or crank the humidity for lockdown if you hand turn)
It gives the babies more traction and can really help prevent a lot of the “common” leg problems that can come with/ be exacerbated by the slippery plastic ‘bator “floor” 😉
So much good info. I always say I’m going to take notes. I hope I start soon. I will get some non slip mat. Thanks for telling me I had not heard that yet. Glad to learn that.

Update. I have 8 babies and one trying to hang on. I’m going to let the rest of the eggs stay until tomorrow morning then I’m calling quits. Here’s some update pics of two guys. I’ll take pics of everyone over next few days.
They're so cute! Congrats on all your adorable chicks!

I hope your last one is strong enough to make it, but if it isn't, you gave it a good chance and did all you could.

Are all your Littles eating and drinking already?

They're so cute! Congrats on all your adorable chicks!

I hope your last one is strong enough to make it, but if it isn't, you gave it a good chance and did all you could.

Are all your Littles eating and drinking already?
Yes everyone is eating and drinking. Two look a little weaker than the others. But hopefully they will be okay. One in incubator is now standing and chirping his little heart out. Hope he lives. I’ll take pics later one last time. Thank you for all your help.

If you have some Poultry Cell you could put some in some water and offer that to them, it may help the weaker ones. I typically offered Poultry Cell a few times a week for the first two weeks just to be sure they have all the vitamins they need. Offer plain water as well so they can get what they need.

Some cooked egg yolk is good too, they always love that and it has a lot of good nutrients for them.

If you have some Poultry Cell you could put some in some water and offer that to them, it may help the weaker ones. I typically offered Poultry Cell a few times a week for the first two weeks just to be sure they have all the vitamins they need. Offer plain water as well so they can get what they need.

Some cooked egg yolk is good too, they always love that and it has a lot of good nutrients for them.
I will cook them some yolk. I used this flock leader arrive. I had one death of a chicken that hatched itself. It was really small and had a mass of cells (insides ?) behind its butt that never shriveled and it seemed weak. It died. I got the one that needed help really greasy and then the heat lamp fell on her (she’s had a rough start) hopefully I don’t loose anyone else. Everyone besides this one other small one. I still have at least 7 eggs in bator I’ll check tonight n at least do quick inspection if no signs of life by tonight. The air in there is strong. Really strong. Will cook egg yolk and will try to remember to get poultry cell. I’ve heard it said here but I’m a hard headed slow learner.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom