Today two of my 5 hens started fighting!

WhichCameFirst?

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2017
I was sitting on my porch and all the chickens were with me. All the hens have been together about a year without ANY issues! One of the Wyandottes started kind of pecking at the other Wyandotte and all of a sudden they were fighting! I broke it up but the chicken who was attacked has been fluffed up and chirping for over an hour, trying to avoid the other hens. I wonder if it was a pecking order thing, although the ones fighting are the bottom two. I'm concerned if they will be OK overnight.
TIA!

Possibly a pecking order issue. I would have let them fight it out, actually. As long as no one gets too beaten up, better to let them sort things out their way.

And yes I've watched some of my hens fight, it was pretty fascinating to see. The others stood around the like spectators at a boxing match, and it was over in about 20 seconds, with the loser hightailing it out of there.

Possibly a pecking order issue. I would have let them fight it out, actually. As long as no one gets too beaten up, better to let them sort things out their way.

And yes I've watched some of my hens fight, it was pretty fascinating to see. The others stood around the like spectators at a boxing match, and it was over in about 20 seconds, with the loser hightailing it out of there.
It happened so fast I just instinctively jumped in to stop them. I even picked up the abused hen and held her on my lap, like a good mother lol.
It was quite interesting to see the victim hen all puffed up for an hour, chirping, and avoiding the instigator.
Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom