Today was the day!!!

Now we are waiting at home to catch the next one. I’m thinking tomorrow but my husband thinks she will lay today. How common is it to start laying consistently right away?
It's one of those things. Unpredictable. I got 4 eggs today. One was frozen probably laid before or soon after midnight. Down to -20F last nite. But I went out about 15:00 and had another from one of my SLW. It was cold but not frozen. I can tell the SLW as their eggs are much smaller. I don't usually look for an egg afternoon. My BO and ISAB lay over night or early morning. Say around 9-10. I'll have to remember to check after noon. Good luck if they lay everyday lucky you if they don't Mother Nature might be involved.

Now we are waiting at home to catch the next one. I’m thinking tomorrow but my husband thinks she will lay today. How common is it to start laying consistently right away?
Mine just started laying also- I have 12 RIRs - I’ve gotten 5 eggs in 3 days, 2 the 1st ( one in Am 1 in PM) 1 the 2nd day, and 2 today ( about 3 hrs apart) I’m so excited to get anything as we had a slow start due to them coming to maturity in the shortest daylight months

Congratulations! First egg days always feel like Christmas!!!! :wee:ya

Saturday was the worst Christmas ever! Haha I was working on the coop; closing off a high shelf she was trying to get on to lay the egg; when I heard it the plop. Egg dropped from high roost and broke. I was so irritated that I barely paid attention to my first egg call

I noticed a small crack in yesterday’s egg. I’m assuming it’s from hitting the wood bottom of the nesting box when it fell out of her butt. And no matter how much pine shavings I put down there they all seem to be kicked away come laying time. So I went and got some thick cushy fake grass this morning and installed it on the nest box floor. Fingers crossed
Yeah, same problem here with Pullets. I bought some compressed Alfalfa hay. It makes lousy bedding. So I've been mixing in pine shavings to use it up. I like compressed straw for nests. GC

Back
Top Bottom