Today was the day!!!

YAY!! That is more than I can say for my ladies they are 6 months and yet no eggs. I am calling them lazy in hope that they will stop slacking soon! Do you like farm fresh eggs better than store bought? How is the taste? You have quite the power chicken!!

You know what....I actually haven’t eaten any yet! We still have some store bought eggs. we are waiting until those are gone as well as waiting until we had enough of hers to eat breakfast. We have 10 now. Probably this weekend we will eat them with some bacon.

Your fresh eggs are much more tasty than store bought especially if you don't cook the yolks solid IMHO. Diet, freshness, better feed and other things likely are the reasons for this.

Now we are waiting at home to catch the next one. I’m thinking tomorrow but my husband thinks she will lay today. How common is it to start laying consistently right away?
It just depends on the breed. My white leghorn hit the ground running at 18weeks! She lays white eggs unlike the rest of the flock so it was easy to track her production. She lays 5-7 eggs a week and has since she started. Rain or shine. Hot or cold. Short days or long. She goes about 2 days on one day off now. The rest have been on and off with the shorter days. My mixed flock of 13 averages 6-9 a day this winter. They all started laying end of summer/ early fall. Today was my lowest day with 4, but yesterday i got 10! Lol

Congrats! Enjoy! I think i sent egg pics to my friends each day that i topped my highest day. Fun!

Back
Top Bottom