Toddler parents-or those that have survived toddler age - sleep help!?

Okay... I have to question why you would let the super sick ones in your bed. Doesn't that just mean that they puke in or contaminate your bed? Ugg. Let them contaminate their own bed!

i've been through that will all 5 of mine but eventually i promise she will outgrow it. other than what everyone else has said only thing i can add is put night lights in for her, give her a special doll or stuffed animal to sleep with, make sure she goes pee before bed(sometimes that wakes em). some of mine eating before bed made them have bad dreams and others needed snacks before bed or they couldn't sleep. and she is about the right age to start being scared of the boogie man or in my daughter's case, rotfl the oogie wady. talked to her, comfort her and love her lots and all u can do is try ur best to help her get through it. it could be something simple, something silly ya never know but ask her what is wakeing her and why she wants to sleep with ya.

edit-spelling this keyboard is messed up,lol.

Last edited:
Quote:
hahaha because they would cry with fevers and pain and only cuddling next to momma quieted them down and it made me stay on top of their meds every 4 hours-if they puked I rolled them over to the bucket!

Quote:
hahaha because they would cry with fevers and pain and only cuddling next to momma quieted them down and it made me stay on top of their meds every 4 hours-if they puked I rolled them over to the bucket!

Gotcha.
smile.png

I'm child free, but my sister has three and I think all three have either puked or pooped in her bed. Has always seemed like a bad choice on her part. Let them poop and puke in their own beds!
tongue.png

Oh, I feel your pain
sad.png
My son (now 5) still crawls into my bed at night. All 3 of my kids were horrible sleepers. Its easier now, hubby works the midnight shift, so I don't even know when he crawls into bed. I am finally sleeping through the night after 10 years. We've done it all.. monster spray, leaving lights on in the closets, dreamcatchers etc.. I think it comes down to them just wanting to be close to Mommy/daddy. Co-sleeping is very hard to break. I did it with my first til she was 5.. vowed never to do it with my second. We didn't, but I slept on her floor mostly and much more uncomfortable. Tried the Ferber method.. just cleaned up vomit all night. Wasn't planning on co-sleeping with my son, but he had alot of medical issues starting at 6 months old and I needed to keep a close eye on him often, so it was just easier. If your daughter is "wailing" something might have spooked/bothered her. I wish you the best of luck, to me.. they are all little mysteries.

It's been a few years since I had to go through the toddler years...

Our son was pretty good about staying in his own room and all that. For the couple times he had a fear of something, we sprayed his room with "Monster Spray" before bedtime. Good thing he couldn't read the label that said Fabreeze! I like the idea someone else had for a flashlight and some books. Perhaps tell your daughter that she is can read a happy book anytime she wakes up, but that she has to stay in her own room. Or maybe try a reward system. If she has a quiet night she gets an extra book at bedtime, or a trip to the playground, or can help bake cookies.

You never know, though. Might be all she needs is a night light so she can recognize her surroundings. I'm sure everything will work out for you.

I'd try and figure what it is that's causing the upset... could be something as simple as a tree branch and a street light coming through the window and freaking her out... could be a nightmare... could be she heard someone else's grama died... or could be another form of separation anxiety.... if you're a stay at home then bedtime would be the greatest separation she knows.

No way to know unless you ask and she's able to tell you... it'd be a shame to spend months, or years, going through this over a tree limb... when you could just trim it up... not just for you, but DH at work.. and kiddo being freaked... I'd give trying to figure out what's going on a shot. If she can't tell you... maybe ask those she's seen recently, if any. Maybe try going into her room at night and plopping onto the floor, or 'her line of sight' and seeing if anything looks "scary"...

Just some ideas. When I was nursing I'd go in for feedings all hours and sack out, and if the kiddos were sick (rare)... other than that we were very lucky that ours pretty well stuck to their beds. But, I imagine that's skewed a little, it's been 6 and 10 years since ours were two. Kinda like how during childbirth mom is cussing but afterwards it's totally worth it oh look at the cuddleumpkins... time can soothe a lot... especially a little thing like sleepless nights so take that with a grain of salt... and maybe some Ibuprofen.

She does have a night light, and our room is kept very dark - no night light, and I painted the walls dark blue.

DH tried to lay in there. No luck. He ended up grabbing her toddler mattress (which is just a crib mattress), plunked it next to my side of the bed, she was very happy and excited and within 5 minutes of laying down, she conked right out.

All night.

We slept as peacefully as we can LOL - my arms and hips dislocate and I get "stuck" and have to rearrange my body a few times, DH has to get up for the bathroom a few times, but she slept through everything. She's still sleeping right now (we are early risers, usually up at 4:30-5am on workdays, 7am on the weekend. We all go to bed between 8and 9pm.)

I don't understand kids
smile.png

She was excited??

Okay, that doesn't sound like a "I'm afraid" kind of thing... can't be sure of course, but if a kid (anyone really) was acting all happy I'd be asking myself just how much of a pushover I'd been.

Toddlers ARE known for testing every boundary they can think of... and for doing whatever is needed to get attention... It's amazing how dang smart they are when here you are thinking they're still 'your baby'... is it possible that she's putting one over on you?

Back
Top Bottom