toes are screwed up

mystus808

Songster
9 Years
Jan 15, 2011
My newly hatched chick's toes are screwed up so she cant stand up. I think she maybe close to giving up and the mom doesnt seem to make any special care for it. What should I do? It is not straddle leg but the toes instead of being spread out so there are 3 separate toes, 2 of them stay together, makes it difficult for the hcick to walk.

There are lots of accounts on here of straightening up toes with tape or tape and cardboard, I believe often in just a few days. If you tape, you will probably have to help it find food and water. There is also the question of whether it is caused by genetics or a hatching problem so breeding the chicken down the road becomes a question.

Take a Bandaid. Cut the sticky ends off. (Those are the pieces you will use). Place one sticky, sticky side up on a flat surface. Place the affected foot with toes in the correct anatomical position on top. Place other sticky, sticky side down, on top of the foot. (Bandaid foot sandwich). No need for cardboard. They can still flex their foot but the bandaid keeps the toes extended. Leave for a least 24 hours on newly hatched chick. Probably longer for slightly older (don't know how effective this is.....have always addressed the problem immediately). I have had 100% positive outcome with every bird. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom