Tolbunt Polish

Thought I'd share I incubated the mom and the dad after purchasing eggs last year... This year I incubated theIr eggs and have some tolbunt crosses. I'm trying to guess the gender on this one too , my gut is telling me boy... Daddy is pure tolbunt with the v comb , momma is pure blue laced red wyandotte with rose comb He has a Mohawk , fluffy checks, his comb came out weird with the cross as I think maybe son recessive genes came out in the cross ... He's getting a little lacing from momma and has mommas blue genes

Face pic

Feathers

Momma

Daddy

Soon after hatch they were cute lil fluff balls

Siblings... Also Easter egger in this pic that was not if the same hatch.. All of my tolbunt a babies got some sort of Mohawk

Number 1:

Number 2:

Hi all. I'm new to tolbunt polish chickens but not to chickens in general. Just wondering if there is a trick to sexing these little cuties. I only have 2. Hoping I have 2 girls or 1 of each!
If anyone can tell me what they are I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi guys I am also semi new to the forum and Tolbunt polish. There is a trick to it. The hens have a smoother looking crest rather than the roos. Roos have spiky crests. I started off with regular polish and found a lady that does crele laced polish and she taught me that trick. I am just now raising my tolbunt chicks. And it looks like I have majority pullets. 15 hens out of 17 chicks.

Hi! I'm new to tolbunts. Only recently discovered them, then, well, I accidentally bought some eggs off ebay from someone who had the nicest looking birds on there as far as my tolbunt ignorance could tell. This weekend 5 of the 8 eggs hatched, much to my glee!

Anyway, now I could really use some help on some tolbunt education.

How much you can tell about the coloring in the crest when they are chicks? If the spot on the head is solid white, will the crest be too white? I have a couple that have some darker spots in the white spot on the head... Not sure of what else I should look for to tell what overall quality they may be? Sorry, about all the other breeds in the photos. It was hatching day for others as well. But BOY those tolbunts sure stand out. Thanks for any comments, good, not so good, or otherwise! :)

Hi! I'm new to tolbunts. Only recently discovered them, then, well, I accidentally bought some eggs off ebay from someone who had the nicest looking birds on there as far as my tolbunt ignorance could tell. This weekend 5 of the 8 eggs hatched, much to my glee!

Anyway, now I could really use some help on some tolbunt education.

How much you can tell about the coloring in the crest when they are chicks? If the spot on the head is solid white, will the crest be too white? I have a couple that have some darker spots in the white spot on the head... Not sure of what else I should look for to tell what overall quality they may be? Sorry, about all the other breeds in the photos. It was hatching day for others as well. But BOY those tolbunts sure stand out. Thanks for any comments, good, not so good, or otherwise! :)
A white crest at hatch doesn't mean no color later. You will see black popping through at two weeks and the red will come a few weeks later. That being said, I like to see as much color as possible early on.
smile.png

I don't know how long you have had chickens but I learned they do better if you give them bounce back which is basically electrolytes. Out of a hundred chicks (not tolbunts) we separated them out into two groups of fifty. One group got medicated chick starter and game bird feed while the others got regular water and plain chick starter. We lost about five or six chicks that got electrolytes and medicated chick starter while we lost about ten to fifteen in the other batch. Also it doesn't look like you have very many birds in your brooder but what I also found out is that they do better also when you separate them out with bantams. The 15 out of 17 tolbunt chicks are now about six weeks old right now. Though it looks like there might be some crele laced polish and some candy corns in that batch too.

A white crest at hatch doesn't mean no color later. You will see black popping through at two weeks and the red will come a few weeks later. That being said, I like to see as much color as possible early on.
smile.png
Thank you! I really appreciate your insight! Happy to see a little dark in some oh the white heads.

Love these chicks, but may have more frizzles than smooth not quite sure yet. No experience yet with frizzles What happens breeding frizzle to frizzle?

Back
Top Bottom