Told to post here from hatching

janine

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
When those of you you who help chip away at the pipped egg. Talk about bleeding....what do you mean exactly? The blood is between the egg and the membrane? Cause our pipped egg has done nothing for 20 hours except sit under the hen with it's beak exposed. We did intervene, but are unsure of exactly what everyone means. We removed some shell on the large end around the pip, nothing bled...but you can tell there is blood in there? We moistened membrane and replaced under the hen, is this the best way or should we finish what we started now? The chick has not changed postion within the egg at all, beak still out of the inner membrane in one spot. The area with egg removed is the whole large end, but the membrane is still surrounding the chick, she wriggles her beak and peeps but doesn't pop through the membrane. Do you open the membrane enough to let the head out? This area on the membrane is not bleeding, and I have been moistening it with qtip and replacing under hen. Only her beak, nostrils are completely out of egg/membrane and all. Would a pic help?

If there are no blood vessels in the membrane you can go ahead and peel it back and let her slip out of the egg. Don't pull her out...just peel the membrane back so she can kick her way out.

ETA: And by that I mean the inner (clear) membrane. If the white membrane is still on remove it first to see if there are still blood vessels in the inner membrane. And a pic might help.
wink.png

Last edited:
It looks like there are still some vessels. Get it moist w/ warm water and see if you wee any blood vessels...if you do, wrap a warm wet paper towel around the membrane (not over the nose though) to keep it moist...if you don't see any vessels you can peel it back.

it's under the hen, do I wrap with moist towel and put back under mom?

It does seem to have some blood vessels, closer to the eggs shell part. It's eye is open and looking at us, it's still peeping and pushing a bit, we moistened and replaced under the hen.

Okay,update....didn't look much diff than pic, when I remoistened it with q tip, it immediately starting stretching and has popped a good way out. My DH said I was wetting it too much,so I wet a paper towel and put the egg on it and layed it back under mom, it seems pretty weak, just laying there and not working at getting the rest of the way out. 1 wing, head and foot are out. Bird is wet and laying under mom, is this an okay way to leave it?

Do you have a brooder set up? If it's most of the way out I would probably bring it in and put it under the heat lamp. Make sure the membrane that's left on it isn't sticky...if it dries out too much and sticks to him he won't be able to get out. It's a tough call, but if he's that far out and not the rest of the way in 1/2 hour or so I would help him.

DH went out to check chick, when he went to pick up the egg, the chick flopped right out. It's wiggling around trying to stand up under mom he said. He brought the egg in still had a little blood vessels in there but hardly any blood, just wetness. Is that normal. I left it under mom since it seems to be doing better, I don't have a brooder set up. She has been doing a way better job than me thus far. Do you think it has a pretty good chance?

Back
Top Bottom