Tom or female

It needs to be at least 3 months old to judge from pictures. It is better if it is 6 months old.

To judge from pictures, 3 different pictures are helpful. One full frontal photo. One full side view and one from behind and above that clearly shows the back of the neck and top of the head.

Toms will be bigger than hens. They will have heavier legs. Their caruncles will be bigger than those of a young hen.

A tom's snood will be able to swell and elongate well past the end of his beak. When it retracts, it can retract into a cone shape. His head will become completely bald except for a few hairs.

Hens will have a "mohawk" of feathers up the back of the neck and on top of their head.
Here are some pics of the 3 sides I hope they're good enough. Looking closer maybe there is a mohawk??

Attachments

• 20220814_112925.jpg
    20220814_112925.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220814_112903.jpg
    20220814_112903.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220814_112830.jpg
    20220814_112830.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 7
Here are some pics of the 3 sides I hope they're good enough. Looking closer maybe there is a mohawk??
Looks like a Broad Breasted White hen that is already developing foot problems with her left foot.

You do not want to get a Broad Breasted tom to go with her. If you want a tom, be sure that it is a heritage tom. In the future stick to heritage turkeys. Broad breasted turkeys were developed as meat birds to be processed by the time they are 6 months old. In commercial hatcheries they are artificially inseminated.

Looks like a Broad Breasted White hen that is already developing foot problems with her left foot.

You do not want to get a Broad Breasted tom to go with her. If you want a tom, be sure that it is a heritage tom. In the future stick to heritage turkeys. Broad breasted turkeys were developed as meat birds to be processed by the time they are 6 months old. In commercial hatcheries they are artificially inseminated.
I went for a duck and came back with a duck and a turkey. What kind of foot problems do broiler turkeys have? Is it similar to a Pekin duck that grows too fast? Also being a broiler bird does that mean she'll live a shorter life like a broiler chicken? I'd like to get another turkey so she's not the only one maybe it'll be safer to go with a hen. Anything I can do to help her with the foot problems at this point?

I went for a duck and came back with a duck and a turkey. What kind of foot problems do broiler turkeys have? Is it similar to a Pekin duck that grows too fast? Also being a broiler bird does that mean she'll live a shorter life like a broiler chicken? I'd like to get another turkey so she's not the only one maybe it'll be safer to go with a hen. Anything I can do to help her with the foot problems at this point?
You can start with an Epsom salts water bath for her bad foot. If the purpose is for her to have company, another hen will be the best choice.

Among other things, heart and leg problems are common among the broad breasted turkeys.

Keep her as slim as possible.
OK. I have chickens and pekin ducks also so I keep a mix of layer pellets, duck pellets and scratch grain that they have 24/7 access to in the run and they free range during the day. I usually mix black oil sunflower seed and cracked corn starting September-ish im in Wisconsin. I've got some vitamin b complex I gave to my ducks when they were young to help with being bowlegged. Would that help any with turkeys? Sorry for all the questions I didn't expect to come home with a turkey 😄

OK. I have chickens and pekin ducks also so I keep a mix of layer pellets, duck pellets and scratch grain that they have 24/7 access to in the run and they free range during the day. I usually mix black oil sunflower seed and cracked corn starting September-ish im in Wisconsin. I've got some vitamin b complex I gave to my ducks when they were young to help with being bowlegged. Would that help any with turkeys? Sorry for all the questions I didn't expect to come home with a turkey 😄
No corn or BOSS for her. Very limited scratch grains. Vitamin B complex is good for turkeys. It provides the niacin and thiamine that they need for healthy joints.

No corn or BOSS for her. Very limited scratch grains. Vitamin B complex is good for turkeys. It provides the niacin and thiamine that they need for healthy joints.
Sorry what is BOSS? I usually do 2 bags layer pellet 1 bag duck pellet and 1 bag scratch grain. I don't have to add in corn but I won't be able to stop her from getting what the cows and horses leave behind. She eats right from my hand so maybe I'll see if I can hand feed her some vitamin b in her food. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!!

Sorry what is BOSS? I usually do 2 bags layer pellet 1 bag duck pellet and 1 bag scratch grain. I don't have to add in corn but I won't be able to stop her from getting what the cows and horses leave behind. She eats right from my hand so maybe I'll see if I can hand feed her some vitamin b in her food. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it!!
BOSS = Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

Back
Top Bottom