Tomatoe salsa canning recipe?

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
Does anyone have a good tomatoe salsa recipe that can be canned? I still have tomatoes and have canned all the tomatoe sauce and stewed tomatoes I'll use. I didn't see one in the Ball canning book, so can you make tomatoe salsa and can it? Thanks for any recipes and/or information.

This is the one I put up this year. It's already all gone. But I think I can use some of my frozen whole tomatoes later this year, close to Christmas, & do a batch to give for presents.

5-6 lbs chopped tomatoes (this is about 15 large or 20-25 small to medium). Core & skin them.

1 large purple onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 cups finely chopped hot peppers (I used Garden Salsa peppers I had raised-it is a medium intensity pepper). I seeded & cut the splines out of the first 2 cups -- later on added 3 more peppers WITH seeds & splines to boost heat - after the first "cookdown" & trial taste. We don't like a real hot salsa here, just medium.
1 handful fresh chopped cilantro
1/3 cup lemon juice
juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon coarse ground salt
1/4 cup jalapeno sauce (we use Trappeys)

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cook 30 minutes, & taste & adjust the seasonings--remember they will strengthen a bit after they set up so do not over do it!

Adjusted seasonings (added another 1/3 cup lemon juice, tablespoon of dried cilantro since I'd used all the fresh, another tablespoon of salt)
brought back to a boil, reduced to a simmer, cooked 5 more minutes, decided that was IT.
cooked 10 minutes more at a simmer & canned it. Used a slotted spoon to pack it into jars (we like thick salsa) & got 4 pints of thick salsa & 3 more jars of just the liquid, which we will use like a spicy V-8 juice. Processed 10 minutes in canner.

It was labor intensive to yield such a small amount, but boy the flavor has brought nothing but rave reviews--so, it's a keeper here.

mine is a little bit bigger it usually makes anywhere from 11-13 quarts depending on how long you cook it down.
Hervas’ Salsa

Mix Together:
9 Quarts Peeled tomatoes (cut up fine) dont have to be fine just decent sized chunks and 9 quarts is about 4 icecream buckets full before skinning just for reference.
3 Cups Celery
4 Cups Onions
3 cups Green Peppers
1½ Cups Jalapeno Pepper*

Mix Separate:
½ Cup Canning Salt
½ Cup Sugar
½ Cup Brown Sugar
¾ Teaspoon Black Pepper
4 teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 Cups White Vinegar
2 Packages Taco Seasoning

Bring second mixture to boil. Add 3 (12 ounce) cans tomato paste. Add first mixture. Boil down until desired consistency. Then can using favorite method.

*Can use any type of hot peppers or any amount to suit your taste.
we usually use about 2 cups of hot peppers but its to your taste.

oh and watch out for the second mixture, try not to smell it, its REALLY strong

Last edited:
I noticed the last recipe you can hot water bath can but the recipe was adjusted. The first two recipes are those for hot water bath or pressure canner? Also how long do you boil your finished pints for? Thanks for the great recipes.

My BBB has a Jalapeno Salsa and a Fiesta Salsa on page.... 33 (i think...some where in the 30's i'm sure!). I made the Jalapeno last night and it turned out good. Had one jar explode in the canner though, i was bummed! They look so pretty cooling on the table. Best of luck. ~Tracy

Quote:
mine( the second one) actually doesnt have to water bathed i use a way my great grandmother taught me to can it and this only works because of the acidity of the tomatoes and the vinegar. you bring the salsa to a boil and a large pan of water that will fit your jars in it and a small pan for the lids and you put clean jars in the oiling water to sterilize then take them out and without trying them you fill them with the boiling salsa leaving some headroom, then put the boiling lid on and screw it on really tight then moove it to another counter making sure you dont tip it at all, and put it on a bath towl to soften the possible jarring of the jar and it should pop in about 10 minutes or less if not you can either use that one right away or reboil it and recan it. I've been using this process for years and mymother before me and i have never seen a jar of salsa go bad, we also do canned tomatoes the same way and have never had a jar go bad.

Thanks for the help everyone. I picked up some Jalapeno peppers at the farmers market yesterday. Supposed to rain this weekend, so good time for canning.

Back
Top Bottom