tomorrow is the day..

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by agnes_day, Sep 1, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    that we finally move! i am so nervous because we have never lived in the country, ever. if anyone can offer any last minute advice on rural living, i would love to hear it!
    i will miss reading all of the good advice on here, since it will be some time before we get internet again.

[​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Wishing you the best of luck in your new home!

[​IMG]

3. Holly O

Holly O Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    You'll be so busy ... unpacking and setting up. You'll not have a lot of time on line ...lol But Congratulations. I think you'll love the country. I know I would ...lol

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You'll love it, there isn't any better way to live, than in the Country.......

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Good luck! You will love the country... all the wild life, how quite it is, and you won't have so many neighbors worrying about what YOU are doing instead of minding their own business.

The one thing you might have a hard time with at first is sleeping. You don't realize how quite, quite can be. I would recommend turning on a box fan or something for some background noise. Of course that all depends on how noisy your current place is.

Enjoy the peace and quiet, fresh air, and PLENTY of outdoor activities. My kids say all the time that they want to live closer to town but then I tell them that they wouldn't be able to do all the things they can do now, like ride the horse, ride their bikes anywhere they want, have bon fires in the fire pit, ride the 4-wheeler, and the list can go on and on. There is more work living in the country but it is well worth it, you get free exercise!

6. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    relax & enjoy it! [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This winter keep some basic supplies on hand so if the weather makes it hard to get to town you'll have enough milk and such on hand. Also unless you're on rural water, if you lose power (which we do fairly frequently) your water well won't work. Keep some containers of drinking water and toilet flushing water on hand. I've lived in the country pretty much all of my life and can't imagine living anywhere else.

8. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thanks everyone!
    luckily i cant sleep without a fan blowing in my face so the noise thing will be ok.
    the thing that has my kids excited is the prospect of fireworks on new years eve and the 4th of july! [​IMG]

i know the goats will be happy, with all the room they will have.

9. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    Quote:definitely..we are going to stock up on everything because the road out here wouldnt be very good with a coating of ice on it, and we get ice storms all the time in oklahoma it seems. i know it makes me even more glad for our craigslist deep freeze, thats for sure!

10. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    You will love it! Last year we moved from a subdivision to our new house on 5 acres, and I couldn't be happier! There are trees for the kids to climb (with the tree frog chorus at night), a creek with frogs, room for a nice garden, all sorts of critters in the yard, and of course the dog and chickens. The family loves it here. I do like that we're still only about 15 minutes from the city, though. Congratulations, and enjoy your new home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by