tongue injury

kllymaurer

Hatching
Oct 5, 2020
One of my 8 week old cockerels managed to get into our feed closet and get a feed sack string wrapped around his tongue and stuck. He must have really fought against it because he was in bad shape when I found him with mouth agape, tongue protruding and swollen, string cut deep, and tongue dry. Alert enough to scamper away when I went for him.. I think it likely he will lose the front of his tongue, but I'm concerned about the swelling and infection... both because it will impede his ability to eat and drink and because I'm sure the infection will be systemic.

I managed to syringe a couple drops of Nutri Drench into his mouth but his swollen tongue is impeding much swallowing. He's now walking around with the flock and alert but mouth open and tongue swollen.

Thoughts on next steps? I'd like him to live if possible. He's one of two candidates for my breeding program. Antibiotics?

Sorry about your rooster. I am going to tag @casportpony for suggestions. Strings or hairs getting wrapped around a tongue can be swallowed or cut off circulation. The tongue swelling can be dangerous. I don’t know if he may need to be tube fed temporarily, so that he doesn’t become dehydrated. If possible I would take him to a vet or avian vet. That way, you can get antibiotics started right away if needed. He can live with a partial tongue. I will try to find some other threads for you to read since I have not treated this problem.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I was worried for nothing. Swelling is down dramatically, his tongue pinked back up, and I've seen him eating and drinking. He is alert and active in the flock. I don't even think he will lose the tip as I was worried he would. This is the best possible outcome.

Pic attached from about an hour after injury. Hard to see inside his mouth, but his tongue was black, swollen, and so dried out it was crispy.

And thanks for the welcome. I've actually been coming to BYC for almost a decade but apparently was too inactive in the past couple years and lost my account.

Attachments

• 20201005_141957.jpg
    20201005_141957.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 15
Yay! That is great news! He should be fine as the swelling is going down and the color is returning. Do keep an eye on him to make sure that nothing goes south. If the tongue is looking better tomorrow make sure that he can eat and drink and has normal behavior. He should be back to normal in a few days or so

Back
Top Bottom