Too big for the brooder, too cold for the tractor?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, May 13, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 25 X's and they are rapidly outgrowing their brooder pen. They will be 5 weeks old this coming Friday. Is is too cold to put them in the tractor? Lows have been 40-50 at night. Before it wouldn't have mattered cause I raised them last year in the barn. But I decided I wanted to try the tractor method. I can hang a heat lamp if necessary. Thoughts?

2. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Heat lamp... and if it is not enclosed, at least tarp it to hold the heat in somewhat.

They should be getting fairly feathered at 5 weeks... well at least for cornish Xs

3. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Wow--five weeks I;m surprised you are stilll tolerating the indoors! Definitely outside, with a heat lamp. make sure to protect from wind/rain in the enclosure. [​IMG]

4. jamieneenah

jamieneenah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Quote:I have *many* cornish inside at almost 4 weeks. Do they get a lot worse soon? They have almost no odor now, new pine shavings added daily.
    Jamie

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Put those suckers outside with a lamp. I always raise my X's outside in a dog kennel. I haven't lost one yet.

6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Wow I am also impressed with them still being inside I almost didnt make 3 weeks with mine. Out they are with two heat lamps as we are still getting low temps but its our norm for the time of year. A lamp and tarp to help keep the heat in sounds like a good fit for you.

7. max13077

It's 47 outside right now and I can see them out the window. Apparently the cool, windy, wet weather doesn't bother them. They're all out from under the tarp eating this new stuff, "what do you call this? Grass?" [​IMG]

AkTomboy,

You live in Delta Junction?!? That's awesome!!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    ya'll wanna get those fast fatties outside asap [​IMG]

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I moved mine to the tractor w/ a heat lamp at 1 week old. I did put a tarp over it to hold in the heat. Night temps then where close to what you have right now, if not colder. When I opened the tractor do in the morning, you could notice the warmer temp inside the tractor. They are 5 weeks old today and I haven't lost any out of 30. Last night it was rainy and windy here. The tarp had blown off, but it didn't seem to bother them a bit. After 2 batches in the barn, I decided a tractor would be much easier, and so far it has been. It takes about a minute to move the tractor, instead of an hour cleaning the pen and not to mention $12 worth of shavings it took to rebed the pen.

I too am surprised you can tolerate them in a brooder this long. I can smell mine when I get close to the tractor outside.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. max13077

I'm amazed how much they poop in one day. Mine were in a coop that was big enough so I would only have to clean it once a week. They are in a more confined area now and the amount of poo is amazing! Gonna have to move that thing at least every day, if not every 12 hours!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by