Too cold for our peafowls?

Selenity

Chirping
Aug 22, 2021
Moncton, New Brunswick
Hi! We are located in New Brunswick Canada and it's calling for -28 c Friday during the night. Should we be concerned for our peafowls? They have a 9 x 11 shed attached to their coop but it is not insulated. We are thinking about hanging a heating dish but wonder if it's necessary.

I think that is close to -22F which we had a couple of years ago here in Kansas. Our birds did fine as long as they had a place to get out of the wind but even in a coop you should put down some bedding. Use either straw or hay to insulate the birds when they go to the ground. If they get too cold on the roost they will go to the ground and lay on bare dirt where they are more likely to get frostbite from the moisture coming up from the ground.

I think that is close to -22F which we had a couple of years ago here in Kansas. Our birds did fine as long as they had a place to get out of the wind but even in a coop you should put down some bedding. Use either straw or hay to insulate the birds when they go to the ground. If they get too cold on the roost they will go to the ground and lay on bare dirt where they are more likely to get frostbite from the moisture coming up from the ground.
Thank you! Yes there is already a good thickness of straw on the floor.

I'm in Eastern Ontario and getting the same cold temperatures. I have had peafowl for several years now. I'm amazed how well they do in our very cold temperatures and deep snow. Today the sun was shining and they were all out, by choice, and sunning on the roosts in their run.
I certainly agree with KSKingBee that they need protection from the winds and some bedding. I don't have heated water bowls for them, so I make sure to change up their source of water several times a day.

I'm in Eastern Ontario and getting the same cold temperatures. I have had peafowl for several years now. I'm amazed how well they do in our very cold temperatures and deep snow. Today the sun was shining and they were all out, by choice, and sunning on the roosts in their run.
I certainly agree with KSKingBee that they need protection from the winds and some bedding. I don't have heated water bowls for them, so I make sure to change up their source of water several times a day.
I couldn't get by without my heated buckets and dog bowls.

Mine are all heated in central WI. Both blues and greens. If it's about 15 for the blues we turn it off but any colder and it's on. The greens are kept at 50ish through winter

I’m in Alberta. I’d like to add one thing to the comments above. Make sure your roosts are installed with the wide part facing up. This allows the birds to sit on their toes keeping them warm. Lots of people know this but thought I’d mention just incase. It seems like frozen toes happen more easily on skinny roosts.

Back
Top Bottom