Too cold for our peafowls?

325068716_718265686618151_7997790476401786739_n.jpg

I hope the sad face was a comment on the temperatures. Everything will be alright overnight especially when the 4 horses get moved in to generate more heat. Temperatures are actually rising so only the more normal -12 tomorrow.
I briefly thought - hum where in my house could I put 12 peacocks.

I hope the sad face was a comment on the temperatures. Everything will be alright overnight especially when the 4 horses get moved in to generate more heat. Temperatures are actually rising so only the more normal -12 tomorrow.
I briefly thought - hum where in my house could I put 12 peacocks.
Definitely sad it is that cold, how awful. We had -22*F and had a few die but that was with a blizzard. When our deep cold moves in it seem to come in late at night after the birds have already gone to roost outside, mostly free rangers, and find them on the snow in the morning. That is when we lose toes, legs, and birds. When it is really cold at roost time the birds find an indoor shelter out of the wind and snow.

This guy's feet are still swollen after three weeks, he is going to lose most of that black toe and it was only -9*. Hindsight teaches me something every winter.
IMG_7457.JPG

Finding dead peacocks must be very distressing. I haven't experienced frostbite with the ducks or peacocks, but have with combs on the chickens. Can anything be done for the peacocks like the toes on the one in your picture.
Temperatures rising here. Supposed to be above freezing tomorrow but with more snow.

Finding dead peacocks must be very distressing. I haven't experienced frostbite with the ducks or peacocks, but have with combs on the chickens. Can anything be done for the peacocks like the toes on the one in your picture.
Temperatures rising here. Supposed to be above freezing tomorrow but with more snow.
They go through a natural progression of the skin drying back and the bones getting brittle then breaking off. It takes quite a while for the entire healing process. If it is severe they will miss the breeding season entirely. The swollen pink toes are going to be fine in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom