Too cold in sw Michingan for japanese and cubalayas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aljiv, Jan 12, 2010.

1. aljiv

aljiv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Hi all! I had a small flock with 3 polish, 4 silkies (fuzzy's my daughter says), and 5 easter eggers. Unforturnetly 2 years after first aquiring my chicks, I ended up losing them in my divorce. However, I'm now married again and we're looking for a house. My new wife dosn't realy understand my holding out for a place I can raise a new flock, but I'm sure she'll come around, especially since she wants room for a garden. She'll find the chickens a real asset there...I hope. Anyway, I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to get chickens out of my system. Not doing so well. I really miss the charm of having my "roaming yard art". Plus after having REAL fresh eggs, its very hard to go back to store bought. Am I the only one that finds these bland? At any rate, I'm trying to find someone or someplace to get some day old chicks. I would really like a few different breeds this time as well. I really like the variety and different colors. I'm thinking Polish, Silkies and easter eggers like before. Plus maybe Cubalayas and Japanese this time. What do you think? I live in SW Michigan and I'm not sure the Cubalayas and Japanese will take the cold. They will all be free-range. I just love watching them roam the yard.

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

[​IMG]

There's a MI thread here, if you haven't found it yet. Someone may have those breeds and can give you some insight. There are also some folks who may have hatching eggs/chicks. I also know a hatchery in Brighton that can help you get started with chicks if need be [​IMG]

I free range my flock ( they have a building to go to at night.) and they do just fine. Just keep in mind that predators may come around from time to time. It's one of the cons of free ranging.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=233&p=2162 Here's the MI thread.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Cubalayas will do just fine in MI. saladin

4. aljiv

aljiv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    thanks! What do you know of this hatchery in Brighton? It's a couple hours away, but I'm willing to make the trip if they have a good selection of breeds.

5. krazykritterlady

krazykritterlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Lapeer, MI
    I have a breeding trio of black Japanese. They have done fine so far, even with all the cold. They are usually in there coop in the cold we are having. I hope to have some chicks available in a couple of months.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I second this statement.

[​IMG]

7. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:I sent you a PM Aljiv.

Bluemoon

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    we have had some cold weather here in va. the cubalayas keep right on laying and no frostbite.

9. aljiv

aljiv Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Kalamazoo, Mi
    Sweet! I can't wait!!

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Just what Bluemoon said. I just wanted to add about the Michigan Chicenstock in June. A lot of people bring chicks to sell and you can meet people face to face from Mi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by