Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

6 in the brooder, 3 pipped and 1 sitting there doing nothing. near the end of day 21. I take that back, one just zipped and is almost out. Looks like another splash about to join the world.

20200220_175722.jpg

B565533B-607E-4D09-8062-B980FCB0B8E0.jpeg
I'm thinking a few paints, a dark blue, possibly a couple splash, and a couple siver partridge I think. There are so many Silkie colors that I'm never confident I'm calling them the right thing. Lol
NIce variety. I’m new to silkies other than the splash cockerels I had last year and rehomed. I think I may have a silver partridge in this group though
FE1B1A5E-9428-495E-A379-63E2A26B7ED7.jpeg

8E9E7C0F-176D-4E8B-AA6C-A7E308F54776.jpeg

Im not a medicine taker but Zofran saved my life this week. Not to be gross but one tiny pill melted under your tongue and you stop the nausea and the vomiting. Its a miracle drug.

Funny you say that, because I’m not a huge medicine taker either and usually just ride things out, but I was given the tiny melting pill of zofran this week during the worst of my flu and OMG it’s a miracle. I went from not keeping any fluids or anything down for a couple days, to being able to drink and eat tiny bits of rice right after taking it. Wonderful stuff when it’s needed. Today is the first day I feel like a human again and it’s such a relief. It’s one thing being super sick, but being super sick with a super sick 2 year old was kind of unbearable lol.

Im not a medicine taker but Zofran saved my life this week. Not to be gross but one tiny pill melted under your tongue and you stop the nausea and the vomiting. Its a miracle drug.

I just noticed you said “this week”. We’re you sick too?! Are you feeling better? I still haven’t caught up on the thread so I’m a bit out of the loop!

I want to go the eBay route too but I hate just buying blind. How do you know which sellers to buy from and which to avoid?

Can’t help but chime in about eBay eggs since that’s all I’ve hatched so far haha. It has been sort of hard for me to figure out which eBay sellers are legit, but I read descriptions and avoid ones that aren’t thorough. And I ask a lot of questions. If someone isn’t willing/able to answer all of my questions, then I steer clear. I just had an experience where they bragged about being awesome at packing eggs and then the eggs arrived and they weren’t even double boxed...in the future I may even ask how people are packing them. And even after all that, it’s mostly luck as far as the eggs getting to you safely. There’s only so much the seller can do to protect them.

The time that all 17 were dead was Meyer. Now I have to tell you we had a blizzard, a big one, so it was cold and the chicks were delayed somewhere, it was just terrible. I stayed home from work for 4 days waiting to pick them up. At that time I did not get paid for time off either. On top of that it was my first time getting chicks, I was so excited and it was just so sad, all those little dead chicks.

Last year, my brain is failing...I think maybe it was cackle? not sure. I ordered like 20 chicks.
I got 6 marans (3 wheaten, 1 cuckoo, 2 black), 6 silkies, 4 polish, 4 spitzhauben. They arrived on the day expected. I drove to the distribution center instead of waiting for them to come to my local post office to save them more handling and time. 9 were DOA . The others were very weak, I gave nutridrench and got them warm right away. They just continued to go down hill. I ended up with 2 silkies 3 Marans, 1 Polish and two spitzhauben. The 2 silkies, polish and 2 spitzhauben were all cockerels so after all that I ended up with 2 wheaten Marans and one cuckoo maran. So three out of 20. And actually the cuckoo Maran I may have confused whether it came from the hatchery or not because at the time I hatched my own also. So I may have just ended up with 2 out of 20. Not great.

Wow... that just sounds awful! I'm so sorry!

Can’t help but chime in about eBay eggs since that’s all I’ve hatched so far haha. It has been sort of hard for me to figure out which eBay sellers are legit, but I read descriptions and avoid ones that aren’t thorough. And I ask a lot of questions. If someone isn’t willing/able to answer all of my questions, then I steer clear. I just had an experience where they bragged about being awesome at packing eggs and then the eggs arrived and they weren’t even double boxed...in the future I may even ask how people are packing them. And even after all that, it’s mostly luck as far as the eggs getting to you safely. There’s only so much the seller can do to protect them.

Can I ask what questions you ask sellers to avoid ebay egg fiascos?

Back
Top Bottom