Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Random reply here but if you are getting into breeding Silkies ‘seriously’ a good book to invest in is Silkies and Silkie Bantams by Sigrid Van Dort.

A lot of people look at the price and it’s puts them off but i’d personally recommend 100%. It’s not just specific to one country’s standard, it kinda says points of all and shows super helpful images 🙂

Thank you for the suggestion! I've been eyeing that book, I've read Sigrids article on paint silkies and also silkie comb genetics walnut vs modified rose and how it relates to bearded and non bearded and it is so interesting! We recently got an opportunity to move to a nicer location so money is kind of tied up for a while but I'm going to make getting that book top priority when things have settled down. :)

Do you ship hatching eggs yet? Not that I need more eggs, or Silkies...buuuut, maybe I do? I mean, there's no telling how many of the Silkies in my brooder are roosters so, lol. :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

Not yet, since I'm not NPIP at this point. :(

Thank you for the suggestion! I've been eyeing that book, I've read Sigrids article on paint silkies and also silkie comb genetics walnut vs modified rose and how it relates to bearded and non bearded and it is so interesting! We recently got an opportunity to move to a nicer location so money is kind of tied up for a while but I'm going to make getting that book top priority when things have settled down. :)

Not yet, since I'm not NPIP at this point. :(

Ah that’s great! It really is worth it!

Even if you have any questions, Sigrid is usually happy to try and help answer them. Definitely helps when it comes to understanding traits and genetics :celebrate

Random reply here but if you are getting into breeding Silkies ‘seriously’ a good book to invest in is Silkies and Silkie Bantams by Sigrid Van Dort.

A lot of people look at the price and it’s puts them off but i’d personally recommend 100%. It’s not just specific to one country’s standard, it kinda says points of all and shows super helpful images 🙂

I finally found the website with the book for sale and that is quite the price tag but it does look like an incredible source of information. Maybe once I'm actually on a property where I can set up my own breeding pens I'll look into getting the book too.

9 little silkies mama teaching them to eat but they weren’t very interested.
291B68BF-8607-48BD-96C2-317F019C2D9C.jpeg
AF24FB64-74C1-4191-BC19-A49C9B1A6203.jpeg
6F324F0D-8989-4476-B4D6-CFF24208DB88.jpeg

9 little silkies mama teaching them to eat but they weren’t very interested. View attachment 2036358View attachment 2036359View attachment 2036360

Look at those little fluffballs, so adorable! :love

Two are pipping, the first hatcher is nice and fluffy now!

The breeder told me it’ll either be a paint or white. These are the eggs I won in the competition.

View attachment 2036362
View attachment 2036363
View attachment 2036364
View attachment 2036369

Ooh exciting! If that little one came out of my paints my bet would be on white, such a cutie! :love

Look at those little fluffballs, so adorable! :love

Ooh exciting! If that little one came out of my paints my bet would be on white, such a cutie! :love

That little chick is all white from what I can see (at least it hasn’t hatched with any black patches but they might appear later I guess) but it’s skin is super super light in colour!

I’m kinda hoping it stays that way 😅 These chicks are just for fun rather that for show after all!

That little chick is all white from what I can see (at least it hasn’t hatched with any black patches but they might appear later I guess) but it’s skin is super super light in colour!

I’m kinda hoping it stays that way 😅 These chicks are just for fun rather that for show after all!

I had two hatch like that last week (completely pink skin). They are starting to get dark skin pigment on their legs/feet and beaks now though. I know it wouldn't have been good for breeding but I kind of thought a pink skinned silkie would make a pretty cute pet too! :lol:

I had two hatch like that last week (completely pink skin). They are starting to get dark skin pigment on their legs/feet and beaks now though. I know it wouldn't have been good for breeding but I kind of thought a pink skinned silkie would make a pretty cute pet too! :lol:

Ah with my own birds I’ve also had the odd one hatch with light skin and it’s turned dark the next day after being in the brooder but I just hope this one stays light...probably won’t though! :rolleyes:

Yes it would have made a cute pet, like Siamese Silkies go for quite a lot yet they are not accepted for showing, it’s odd! 😅

Back
Top Bottom