Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

My 5.5 mo old duck started laying recently in one of the coldest snaps we've had so far this year... sweet girl... and has me thinking about hatching some of her eggs this year also. What is the recomended amount of time to wait before allowing a new layer to hatch out or incubating some of her eggs? I'd love to add some ducks to their little flock.

I think that would be so cool to have some with Feb. 29 birthday!
For some reason this group is in a rush to get born...I thought Hatch day would be March 2 but they've got their own ideas for a birth date!

My Brahma cana hybrids have started pipping and we have just run one hour into the 29th, it never occured to me that they would be leap chicks if born on time 🤯

My 5.5 mo old duck started laying recently in one of the coldest snaps we've had so far this year... sweet girl... and has me thinking about hatching some of her eggs this year also. What is the recomended amount of time to wait before allowing a new layer to hatch out or incubating some of her eggs? I'd love to add some ducks to their little flock.

Hmm I don't know about ducks but I've incubated a lot of pullet eggs very close to when they started laying (around a week) and they didn't have any problems. If the eggs were extra small I'd wait a little longer but most of my pullet eggs aren't really that small to begin with.

I was going to say something similar to what @LynnaePB suggested but I'm not sure about duck eggs either. I would think regardless of species once the eggs are consistent in size and shape they will likely incubate and hatch well.

Hmm I don't know about ducks but I've incubated a lot of pullet eggs very close to when they started laying (around a week) and they didn't have any problems. If the eggs were extra small I'd wait a little longer but most of my pullet eggs aren't really that small to begin with.

I was going to say something similar to what @LynnaePB suggested but I'm not sure about duck eggs either. I would think regardless of species once the eggs are consistent in size and shape they will likely incubate and hatch well.

I think I'm going to try it in March in that case while DH is on board with the idea. Lol. The eggs are pretty nearly as big as the eggs my ducks hatched out of in September at about 2.5 inches long. imagejpeg_0_01~2.jpg

My current group of chicks on the other hand hits 21 days tomorrow at around noon. A friend has me worried that not having the humidity high enough they won't be ale to break through the shells. It's hanging between 55-65%. The air cells have also remained small due to the issues with the humidity this time around. Not sure if it's because of the dryer winter air or what? Crossing my fingers for a good hatch at this point.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_01~2.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_01~2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
I think I'm going to try it in March in that case while DH is on board with the idea. Lol. The eggs are pretty nearly as big as the eggs my ducks hatched out of in September at about 2.5 inches long. View attachment 2038021

My current group of chicks on the other hand hits 21 days tomorrow at around noon. A friend has me worried that not having the humidity high enough they won't be ale to break through the shells. It's hanging between 55-65%. The air cells have also remained small due to the issues with the humidity this time around. Not sure if it's because of the dryer winter air or what? Crossing my fingers for a good hatch at this point.

For hatch day that's perfect, you don't want the humidity higher than 65% you'll risk the humidity spiking too high once the chicks are hatching. I usually keep mine around 65% and when the chicks are actively hatching it will temporarily spike as high as 75% to even 80%.

For hatch day that's perfect, you don't want the humidity higher than 65% you'll risk the humidity spiking too high once the chicks are hatching. I usually keep mine around 65% and when the chicks are actively hatching it will temporarily spike as high as 75% to even 80%.
Phew, ok... I feel better! Thanks!

The weights have dropped appropriately so hopefully all will be well. The silkies are just 30 grams... tiny!

Back
Top Bottom