Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
Well, guess I'll finally pipe in. I started my first incubation on January 14th. So I'm expecting early February too. (I got sick right after and I'm finally starting to feel better.) I bought a dozen mixed eggs at a chicken swap. I added a few of my own in just for fun. I candled after 5 days, I couldn't wait, and saw the veins formed. 🥰
Just a few days ago I checked the one I thought wasn't viable, and it was a dud. Today I finally marked my air sack, didn't realize I needed to, and one of the ones I put from my flock is also a dud. 😫
I am using a little giant still air incubator and turning ast least twice a day.
I've had the incubator for almost a year and haven't used it until now.
It is so amazing to watch the growth and development. So excited for hatch. 🐣
Just to clarify I stop turning on day 18, right?

Well, guess I'll finally pipe in. I started my first incubation on January 14th. So I'm expecting early February too. (I got sick right after and I'm finally starting to feel better.) I bought a dozen mixed eggs at a chicken swap. I added a few of my own in just for fun. I candled after 5 days, I couldn't wait, and saw the veins formed. 🥰
Just a few days ago I checked the one I thought wasn't viable, and it was a dud. Today I finally marked my air sack, didn't realize I needed to, and one of the ones I put from my flock is also a dud. 😫
I am using a little giant still air incubator and turning ast least twice a day.
Yes and most folks raise the humidity at that time too

Welcome! I'm glad you're feeling better and joined us.
I tend to candle more often than most as well. I just love documenting the development!
You don't NEED to mark the air cell, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but it helps a lot to keep track of the air cell growth and whether humidity needs to be adjusted accordingly.
Yes, you stop turning the eggs on day 18 and increase the humidity to around 65% and don't open the incubator again until all of the chicks have hatched.

The big appeal for me with the nurture right was not having to open my incubator, which tempted me to candle. I started noticing the less I candle the better hatches I had. My goal is candle day 10 and lock down but we will see if I can do that.

So far the wonderful view that the Nurture Right provides has done nothing to prevent me from candling, lol. :lau
I am always careful to thoroughly wash my hands before handling the eggs but I somehow always find myself candling extra "for educational purposes" I tell myself. lol

For those wanting shipped eggs for different varieties. I have to say that this farm offers amazing blue and jubilee orps as hatching eggs and chicks. They are one of the few places I have seen that actually offers a egg replacement if they are damaged in shipping and a full batch replacement if you get a horrible hatch. Definitely worth it!!

Lots a Cluckin Farm

I'm super excited about hatching them. These will be my first Faverolles!

I have one pullet and I adore her. She is timid and not very brave but personable and quirky at the same time.
86F8A03F-5D18-415E-8C91-BF901AD24C52.jpeg

First batch has been moved to the second incubator for lock down.

Mostly shipped eggs 20, 1 comet/unknown bantam cross and 2 silkie bantam/unknown bantam crosses. Unfortunately the other 4 silkie crosses didn’t make it. Not surprised since the eggs were 2 months old.

Goal is to hatch out more than 50%.

Do bantams hatch early?

672C19B2-C409-4CC5-95B4-EEB2DC9E4AB5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom