Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
Hi everyone I will join in its been awhile since I did an incubator hatch. Last year I had 2 horrible hatches in my Janoel 12 so I just used broody to hatch, but really missed the hands on incubating process. I set my silkie eggs on Saturday, I was planning on Friday for a Valentines Day hatch but I was still trying to figure out and set up the new Nurture Right 360 with the guidance of CluckNDoodle answering my questions. Not new to incubating but new to this incubator.

Yay! I'm so glad you decided to join us! I just set some Silkie eggs in one of my Nurture Rights too, just yesterday. It sounds like I get to pick up some Salmon Faverolles eggs early because they're ready today! If I had known I probably would have set all of the eggs to hatch on the same day. Oh well, hatching one day apart I can put a couple of each under my broody hen and let her do all of the work raising them, lol.

Tis lock down day for half of the bator. 24 ish eggs in this batch. Probably a good thing the emus aren’t in there. Staggered hatch will be much easier with a second incubator. Should have a bunch of new fluffy butts in a few days! All different shapes and sizes.

Only have a couple silkie bantams that made it. Will candle the rest and get a full count.

So how does one break it to the other half that we snuck eggs in and they’re about to hatch? He still has no clue!

Tis lock down day for half of the bator. 24 ish eggs in this batch. Probably a good thing the emus aren’t in there. Staggered hatch will be much easier with a second incubator. Should have a bunch of new fluffy butts in a few days! All different shapes and sizes.

Only have a couple silkie bantams that made it. Will candle the rest and get a full count.

So how does one break it to the other half that we snuck eggs in and they’re about to hatch? He still has no clue!
I need to start making my incubator

And the Salmon Faverolles are set now too! I decided to mark the air cells on these before I set them because there were a few oddly shaped air cells (though they're clearly very fresh so I don't think it will cause an issue) and one egg with an unknown floater in it that I marked with B/F for Bubble/Floater, lol because I'm honestly not sure what it is, doesn't actually look like a bubble. I think it may be a floating chalazae, but I like to take notes on what I see so I know how it effects hatch/viability.

1-29-20 (2).JPG

And the Salmon Faverolles are set now too! I decided to mark the air cells on these before I set them because there were a few oddly shaped air cells (though they're clearly very fresh so I don't think it will cause an issue) and one egg with an unknown floater in it that I marked with B/F for Bubble/Floater, lol because I'm honestly not sure what it is, doesn't actually look like a bubble. I think it may be a floating chalazae, but I like to take notes on what I see so I know how it effects hatch/viability.

View attachment 2014016

My experience has been when eggs have abnormalities, floaties, like that or more commonly blood/meat spots they don't develop. Hopefully your egg proves me wrong.

My experience has been when eggs have abnormalities, floaties, like that or more commonly blood/meat spots they don't develop. Hopefully your egg proves me wrong.

It's possible that it could be a meat spot but it's so...blob like, lol. That's kind of why I was thinking maybe a large detached chalazae. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this floating around in an egg and I've candled lots and lots of eggs. The eggs came from a someone I know and trust so it was unnoticed if she happened to candle before giving me the eggs. If it doesn't develop I'm definitely going in to investigate...because now I need to know what it is. lol

It's possible that it could be a meat spot but it's so...blob like, lol. That's kind of why I was thinking maybe a large detached chalazae. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this floating around in an egg and I've candled lots and lots of eggs. The eggs came from a someone I know and trust so it was unnoticed if she happened to candle before giving me the eggs. If it doesn't develop I'm definitely going in to investigate...because now I need to know what it is. lol
Yup. Every now and then you get an oddball. If they were your birds I'd watch for more eggs from that hen. Could be normal for her.

I've had some shipped that have tiny air bubbles on the yolk. Pretty strange but I've seen pictures of similar eggs posted on here. I'm curious what's in yours. Definitely post an update. Tag me even so I don't miss it.

View attachment 2014016

Ooh I love Salmon Faverolles. 😍

Back
Top Bottom