Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
I guess I'm a little late for this hatch-a-long, but I'll join anyway.

This morning I put 27 eggs in the incubator. 7 silkie eggs from my own flock that I don't think are fertile (won't know until candling), and 20 bantam orpington eggs.

I am using a Hova incubator, if I remember right. I will check in the morning. I set the temp to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I filled up one water trough, so I think that is around 50 humidity.

This is my first hatch! I have read a lot about hatching eggs on BYC and know the basics (don't open the bator, don't help chicks hatch, how to candle, how to do lockdown, etc.). If there is anything else I need to know please tell me.

Eggcited" to be doing this with all ya'!

20200120_201612.jpg
taking these to the school today to set with the animal science class of our local FFA chapter! We will get to candle the turkey and duck eggs we set last week and check for blood rings
On a side note I sent 22 copper marans eggs home with a friend to set in her incubator because mine are all full!

This morning I put 27 eggs in the incubator. 7 silkie eggs from my own flock that I don't think are fertile (won't know until candling), and 20 bantam orpington eggs.

I am using a Hova incubator, if I remember right. I will check in the morning. I set the temp to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I filled up one water trough, so I think that is around 50 humidity.

This is my first hatch! I have read a lot about hatching eggs on BYC and know the basics (don't open the bator, don't help chicks hatch, how to candle, how to do lockdown, etc.). If there is anything else I need to know please tell me.

I am setting mine on Thursday hoping I can get enough for a good test hatch to check my fertility. I am using a Hovabator as well. It's this one with the digital display
1579660055347.png

The display will show you temp and humidity and mine is fairly close to what it should be for temp and humidity. Based on my extra thermometer and hydrometer. I have orps and am setting my first batch of the season. Some are new layers so I want to make sure Rooster Cogburn is doing his job. If not he may need a pet/retirement home and I might need a more manly rooster lol.

I've got 4 silkie eggs from my flock due to hatch February 1st through February 4th. I'm really excited to see what I get from them as they are from some of my prettiest hens that just started laying recently (the little pullet in my avatar photo is one of the mothers). The rooster that was with the hens wasn't getting anything fertilized for over a month so I'm really happy he's finally figuring things out (he's inexperienced as he was living in my bachelor flock until a little while ago). I just set another 18 silkie eggs from my flock today, I expect a lot won't be fertile still but maybe I'll be surprised. :)

First time incubation how exciting!

It sounds like you've got basics covered pretty well. At 50% humidity I'd watch those air cells closely to make sure they are growing enough. 50% is a little on the high side though I've heard it works well for some. I like referring to the air cell charts and candling on day 7 14 and 18 to make sure my air cells are on the right track. I've found air cells a little on the large side still hatch well, a little too small and you can run into more issues.

There is a lot of advice out there and a lot of different methods to incubating and hatching. I think there are quite a few ways to successfully incubate and hatch and what works well for one person doesn't always work for another. If something doesn't work out or doesn't feel right don't be afraid to try another way. :)

You probably won't have issues with eggs from your own flock and local eggs but I always think it's good to read a little about assisting before hatching time if you are willing to be hands on so you can be prepared and know how to recognize a problem. I've found knowing how and when to assist invaluable especially with shipped eggs.

Just dropping this link on assisting here in case you're interested at all as it's got a lot of good information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom