Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
How are everyone’s eggs doing? I’m on day 7. Going to candle tonight.
Only day 2 for us here so no candling probably until Monday or Tuesday here. I'm collecting another weeks worth of eggs while the first set gets to week one. (I also broke down and ordered 2 dozen blue orps from Brickhouse Poultry in North Carolina) shhhh don't tell my husband. :oops:

Who could resist look at these birds!!! They should arrive around the 14th of Feb ready to go in the incubator.

1579917826962.png

1579917864945.png

only 70 hours in and I saw some heartbeats! I always candle end of day 2 start of day 3. It just amazes me how much development can happen in such a short time!

An extra egg went in the incubator yesterday. I’ve been waiting forever for my last BCM to lay, and she finally did! Big chance it won’t be fertile or hatch, but I’ve got to try!

All the eggs but 1 that I candled today look like they are developing! I couldn’t see in any of my BCM eggs and some OE. Hopefully in a couple days I am tell.
B90B0651-C98B-41DB-8405-AC6B4F745B3F.png

the way things are going we will still be hatching turkeys in april so some will be just right for thanksgiving! we have found that heritage birds are just about right at 6.5 to 7 months old... they are good older to but we try not to go much younger. if you are looking to do broad breasted than they should take about 4 months.

I do my broad breasted for 22 weeks about 5 months that seems perfect. I like a large turkey and at that age the girls are averaging around 18-20lbs dressed out and the males are between 25 and 35 lbs dressed. Much older than that and they don't fit in the oven come Thanksgiving lol.

All these babies... can’t get enough of them 😊

Candled the first batch just to check for life. The one with the huge air cell didn’t make it and one of the gifted RIR/bantam crosses died early on it looks like.

We’re down to 52, but still very happy with how many are alive and moving. No more eggs flooding the floor of the incubator in between the turners :p

Wiggle tested the emus for a few moments. Nothing today.

only 70 hours in and I saw some heartbeats! I always candle end of day 2 start of day 3. It just amazes me how much development can happen in such a short time!

An extra egg went in the incubator yesterday. I’ve been waiting forever for my last BCM to lay, and she finally did! Big chance it won’t be fertile or hatch, but I’ve got to try!

All the eggs but 1 that I candled today look like they are developing! I couldn’t see in any of my BCM eggs and some OE. Hopefully in a couple days I am tell.View attachment 2010286

You're making me want to candle but I don't want to candle too because I'm worried the eggs got too cold. Current outside temp is 26 degrees tonight. But we've had temps anywhere from 0-45 these last few weeks.

Hopefully I got to the eggs early enough. I know the rooster is doing his job. I've seen him do it. Just not sure if he's A hitting the mark or B if it's too cold for collecting eggs. Fingers crossed that they are all doing okay.

Ahhhh:barnie
I have been having trouble with sticky chicks so I traded out the water reservoir in the cabinet bator for a smaller one... only problem is the temp went up when I lowered the humidity. Silly me forgot witch way to turn the temp down on this beautiful dinosaur. I have been fighting it for 2 days! Think we are finally within 2 degrees on the low side... not the cooked egg side. During this experiment I may have overcooked some or all of the eggs set to hatch over the next 3 weeks...

Ahhhh:barnie
I have been having trouble with sticky chicks so I traded out the water reservoir in the cabinet bator for a smaller one... only problem is the temp went up when I lowered the humidity. Silly me forgot witch way to turn the temp down on this beautiful dinosaur. I have been fighting it for 2 days! Think we are finally within 2 degrees on the low side... not the cooked egg side. During this experiment I may have overcooked some or all of the eggs set to hatch over the next 3 weeks...
Hope it didn't affect anything!

Figure we will candle tonight and again Monday when we plan to set more eggs. Went to bed at 2 sm woke up to the stupid thing holding steady as a rock st 99... huh go figure
I've had bad luck with free eggs I got. The other eggs from my farm and another farm are fine so assume it's their eggs since nothing else was affected!

Back
Top Bottom