Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
I agree with what was said above. I keep two incubators. One acts as my incubator and the other as my hatcher. That way I can add new eggs about once a week and stagger the hatching in the hatcher so that I have a little bit of time to clean out the hatcher between batches of babies. Usually the incubator is going all spring summer and the hatcher is going off and on as I have babies ready to go into lockdown.

What type of fencing do you have for them? Where did you buy the eggs?

The eggs were from a lady in Texas. They were shipped pretty far, so makes sense that two were no good. REALLY want to find a breeder in Washington if I give it a go again. I would recommend finding some local and not having them shipped.

The fencing is sturdy 5’ with 3’ or so of electric fencing extended upwards. No one is getting out of there. The electric fencing is 4 rows up and act as another fence since electric fence doesn’t affect emus in the least.

F9032596-17A2-4CD3-AB3D-6DAA62ADC345.jpeg

89B5A6A7-871C-4BCC-8BE1-9657AF49581E.jpeg

View attachment 2011530the 2 early birds... I hate 4.30 am

What’s in your brooder for heat? Just curious what others are using. Tried the red heat lamp and it would keep the peepers up ALL night. Worked well, but little sleep was achieved. Going to try the ceramic heat bulb that has no light.

She sent a good variety but no Deathlayers. Mostly Isbars (7) and 55 Flowery (5) eggs. After that Marans (4),
Barbezieux (4), Silver Laced Orpington (3). Then 2 each of red laced Wyandotte, golden laced Spitzhauben, Swedish Flower, Barnvelder, and Legbar.

I'm just trying to rebuild my flock so this is an excellent start. I'll also be growing out the roosters and keeping 1-2 long term. Fingers crossed I'll have some good ones to choose from.

I’m doing the same, except starting out building a flock. Only have 4 adults, 3 RIR mix hens and their handsome rooster. The variety that you get from Foxfire is great. Will be fun to see what they all look like as adults.

Did you get any “mixed colors” Marans?

Edit: @Merrymouse Looks like the reply I mentioned was buried in the quotes. I removed the quotes so it's viewable below:

To have a staggered hatch in 1 incubator you need to understand the principles of incubating and hatching. Also the requirements of an egg based on development.

Once you have a firm grasp on those you can then pick apart the standard canned advice. Like bumping humidity and stop turning. Aka lockdown. You can understand why it's generalized so often when in fact they are done for different reasons and do not actually need to be done in unison.

I think digging into posts on staggered hatching will give you a good idea of what you'll be in for. Before you actually take it on. It does require a good dose of fortitude. Otherwise people tend to panic. Best advice I've ever received on hatching "it's not for the faint of heart".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom