Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Just did a partial-assist on my third egg - it internally pipped well over 24 hours ago and long before the two that have hatched, but no external pip and the cheeping was getting weaker. I carefully opened up at the air sack, found where the chick had pipped, but no sign of a beak. Peeled back the membrane a bit to discover that the dummy had pipped, then decided to flip around in the egg! It's still not ready to come out, but it's back to peeping bloody murder at me, so that's a comfort! 🤪🤣

We have hatch :wee:love, set 6, had to remove one, a quitter, put them on lock down Thursday night, thought I'd heard a squeek last night, then finally heard peeping, has hat me worried something might be wrong as it was 7:30 when I first heard the peep, I expected to wake up to a chick, he didn't hatch till about 10:00 or so. Of all the eggs to hatch out of, he hatched out of one of the eggs, I was 80% sure weren't going to hatch..lol. Now for the others. Hatch day isn't officially till tomorrow.View attachment 2027011

It looks like you have the janoel 12 incubater (I have the same one) what humidity do you have it at incubation period and hatching period

A hatched chick smells??? Hmm, I would worry about the introduction of bacteria, omphalitis, when it absorbed the yolk sac if it's really coming from the chick and not another egg. Do you have chlorhexidine solution by any chance? I would definitely carefully clean the baby off and dab chlorhexidine on the navel once a day for a few days. Treating it much like a chick with a poorly closed navel just to be safe. I've never experienced this first hand though, so I'm not sure what else you could do.

The egg stank like crazy, I actually had to throw it out the back door to get it out of my house! I don't have chlorhexidine, but the umbilical was very well healed at hatch, and I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. Baby is doing very well, so I'm hopeful.

It looks like you have the janoel 12 incubater (I have the same one) what humidity do you have it at incubation period and hatching period
during incubation I run around 50 and during hatch 65 to 70. As they start to Hatch the humidity on it's own seems to stabilize around 55, it is the janoel 12, with the size of the eggs I get 6 is generally max, though I have had 12 in there, but they had to be hand turned and the top plate had to come out along with the turning tray. I do have one of those 24 count Chinese incubators, but I figure hubby doesn't have as big of a heart attack if I hatch 6 at a time..lol.

during incubation I run around 50 and during hatch 65 to 70. As they start to Hatch the humidity on it's own seems to stabilize around 55, it is the janoel 12, with the size of the eggs I get 6 is generally max, though I have had 12 in there, but they had to be hand turned and the top plate had to come out along with the turning tray. I do have one of those 24 count Chinese incubators, but I figure hubby doesn't have as big of a heart attack if I hatch 6 at a time..lol.

Thanks I've been keeping it at 35 to 45 (this is my first ever egg incubation) and planning to boost it up to to 60 70 for hatching I could fit 9 eggs in it 4 I took out because they were clearly infertile so now I have 5 in it

Thanks I've been keeping it at 35 to 45 (this is my first ever egg incubation) and planning to boost it up to to 60 70 for hatching I could fit 9 eggs in it 4 I took out because they were clearly infertile so now I have 5 in it
I think it all depends on where you live, where you have it set up at, mine is currently in my guest bath.. the water in there helps to keep the humidity a bit high, but I have the challenge of the "dry heat" plus having the heater on. Being set up in there helps to keep a eye on it ;) , congratulations on your first incubation.. I was a nervous wreck with my first one. I've done several since then, majority of the time I have a 60 to 100% hatch, going to have to figure out what this one will be, I've had a second baby hatch, these eggs are all from my Naked Neck Coop, one is a black NN for sure, I can't tell yet if the other is a full feather or a bibbed. I'll see in the morning, when I move them to the brooder, I had a feeling earlier that I had another one on the way as the first was singing.. kind of a trilling noise they make.

Back
Top Bottom