Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

ok now YOU all have gone and done it( ok it was me) I just bid on some Muscovy eggs that are only 265 mile from me!!!
What have I done!!!
not like I don't have enough water fowl.
but I have been looking SO hard to find Muscovy!

Oh I hope you win them! That's exciting, it's really tough to find local breeders via eBay for me.

Today being day 22 I candled and opened up the air cell on the three eggs that had stopped moving. All three are still alive but had not done an external pip. One had pipped internally through a blood vessel trying to externally pip. When I opened the air cell there was blood inside the membrane that was just free flowing. Not sure if it will make it but it is still alive. The other two had managed a good internal pip and were still alive and making noise but not externally pipping. The membrane was very dry and tight on them. I swabbed all three with coconut oil and put them back in the hatcher to cook for a bit more so the veins can recede. Hopefully if I add another coat of oil before I leave in the morning they should be able to make it out okay on their own. Crossing my fingers.
1582335819488.png

Today being day 22 I candled and opened up the air cell on the three eggs that had stopped moving. All three are still alive but had not done an external pip. One had pipped internally through a blood vessel trying to externally pip. When I opened the air cell there was blood inside the membrane that was just free flowing. Not sure if it will make it but it is still alive. The other two had managed a good internal pip and were still alive and making noise but not externally pipping. The membrane was very dry and tight on them. I swabbed all three with coconut oil and put them back in the hatcher to cook for a bit more so the veins can recede. Hopefully if I add another coat of oil before I leave in the morning they should be able to make it out okay on their own. Crossing my fingers.
View attachment 2032521

:fl Come little ones you can do it!

View attachment 2032521

Crossing my fingers for them!!

On the search for a more accurate thermometer. This is the third late batch in a row. Even though I thought they would go early since they were shaking like mad day 18. Other than temp is there anything else that can cause late hatches?

That’s a really good question! I actually have no idea. I’m a total newb. This was my very first hatch and I have my second in the incubator now. My temp was a bit too high and mine hatched a day early. So if you suspect yours was low I’d probably try to get an accurate temp reading and then trouble shoot from there.

On the search for a more accurate thermometer. This is the third late batch in a row. Even though I thought they would go early since they were shaking like mad day 18. Other than temp is there anything else that can cause late hatches?

If you set older eggs they can hatch later but I don't think that's the case with yours since it has been multiple hatches. It really sounds like it's a low temperature thing.

Back
Top Bottom