Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

And updated picture of the Silkie peeps I'm keeping. I definitely have some with lighter beaks, we'll see if they darken. I think I need to hatch more. Why are Silkies so cute?! :love

2-27-20 (7).JPG

2-27-20 (1).JPG

Aww so many adorable babies, I'm loving the pictures!!! :love

This hatch is over, the two difficult assists actually made it to hatch! :celebrate

The three I didn't expect to make it all have some issues but I'm hoping they'll overcome them. The first assisted baby that hatched just had a minor problem with splay leg. I put a hobble on her and she is getting around great now. The other assisted baby and the one who hatched from my iffy looking dirty egg who I also assisted (it was positioned with the feet over head so an easy assist) both have curled toes, one on both feet and the other on just one foot. They also had really stiff legs at hatch. The first that has the curled toes on both feet seems to be getting much better at using its legs and they seem much less stiff now. The other still has one leg that is very stiff, I tried seeing if the knee would bend but it really bothered the chick so I'm leaving it be for now and hoping it will improve given some more time. I put band aid boots to help with the curled toes on both chicks.

I'll try to get some pictures of all the babies soon. :)

I wanted to share this with you guys!

Mr. I Don’t Fertilize Eggs 😅

He is a beautiful boy! :love

Oh my goodness!!! :love :love :love SO SWEET!!! What color would you call the last one? I hatched a chick that looks similar and I've been wondering what it is.

View attachment 2036933

What a neat looking color! I have no idea what it will end up like but I bet it will be interesting! :love

Aww so many adorable babies, I'm loving the pictures!!! :love

This hatch is over, the two difficult assists actually made it to hatch! :celebrate

The three I didn't expect to make it all have some issues but I'm hoping they'll overcome them. The first assisted baby that hatched just had a minor problem with splay leg. I put a hobble on her and she is getting around great now. The other assisted baby and the one who hatched from my iffy looking dirty egg who I also assisted (it was positioned with the feet over head so an easy assist) both have curled toes, one on both feet and the other on just one foot. They also had really stiff legs at hatch. The first that has the curled toes on both feet seems to be getting much better at using its legs and they seem much less stiff now. The other still has one leg that is very stiff, I tried seeing if the knee would bend but it really bothered the chick so I'm leaving it be for now and hoping it will improve given some more time. I put band aid boots to help with the curled toes on both chicks.

I'll try to get some pictures of all the babies soon. :)

He is a beautiful boy! :love

What a neat looking color! I have no idea what it will end up like but I bet it will be interesting! :love

I'm so glad your peeps made it! :celebrate If you haven't already I would supplement with some Nutridrench for poultry or Polyvisol WITHOUT iron. It sounds like it may be due to a vitamin deficiency in the breeding flock since you have multiple chicks with similar issues.

I'm so glad your peeps made it! :celebrate If you haven't already I would supplement with some Nutridrench for poultry or Polyvisol WITHOUT iron. It sounds like it may be due to a vitamin deficiency in the breeding flock since you have multiple chicks with similar issues.

Thank you! :)

I'll add some vitamins to their water in case there is a deficiency issue. These are from my flock. I add vitamins to parents water at least once a month so I'm not sure why they would be getting deficient. I suspect it has more to do with the storage and age of the eggs and possibly there could be a genetic issue with my rooster. All of the babies with issues were from eggs that were over a week old when incubated. The three babies from the same hen that were from fresher eggs hatched with no problems and have perfect feet. The poor babies in the malpositions had their legs/feet in awkward positions so I'm sure that didn't help. :hmm

Next time I incubate from my silkies I'm going to try adding some eggs from another pen with a different rooster to see if there might be a problem with my rooster. If I'm remembering right I had 100% hatches of fertile eggs both times I was hatching from the other rooster late last year. I really want to get to the bottom of why I'm getting lower hatch rates and more malpositions from this breeding pen. I had some DIS babies in the head between thigh malposition for the last three hatches from this pen, and the first two batches weren't from older eggs. :barnie

Thank you! :)

I'll add some vitamins to their water in case there is a deficiency issue. These are from my flock. I add vitamins to parents water at least once a month so I'm not sure why they would be getting deficient. I suspect it has more to do with the storage and age of the eggs and possibly there could be a genetic issue with my rooster. All of the babies with issues were from eggs that were over a week old when incubated. The three babies from the same hen that were from fresher eggs hatched with no problems and have perfect feet. The poor babies in the malpositions had their legs/feet in awkward positions so I'm sure that didn't help. :hmm

Next time I incubate from my silkies I'm going to try adding some eggs from another pen with a different rooster to see if there might be a problem with my rooster. If I'm remembering right I had 100% hatches of fertile eggs both times I was hatching from the other rooster late last year. I really want to get to the bottom of why I'm getting lower hatch rates and more malpositions from this breeding pen. I had some DIS babies in the head between thigh malposition for the last three hatches from this pen, and the first two batches weren't from older eggs. :barnie

Oh I somehow missed that! I thought they were from shipped eggs. That is definitely something peculiar. I hope that you can get to the bottom of it soon!

Back
Top Bottom