Too early to start nesting????

I'm new to this so i'm going to ask why????? Will she not hatch them????
Any domesticated duck that's just started laying wont go broody the very next week.
Even my calls don't normally go broody until they're over 2 years old.. (Calls duck are known for going broody quite often btw)

Yes, but she lives in PA wouldn't it be better to wait a bit when it won't be so cold? Just sayin' I'm in Georgia and I wouldn't do it now. You'd have too long to worry with keeping them warm and all.

I live in NY where it's still in the teens and i'm currently incubating call duck eggs, Don't see why the OP couldn't ?

I had a Rouen named Quackers and she was the best mother duck I have ever owned. She went broody for the first time at 8 months old. When she went broody she usually tried to hide her eggs from me. She didn’t go broody after taking a break from laying eggs but after about 3 weeks of laying she get broody and hatch the eggs if I left them in the nest (this was after I got rid of all her hiding spots :rolleyes:)
Good luck and I hope you get ducklings! :fl

Last edited:
0895BBAE-B352-4886-B4DF-E07C8331112B.jpeg

This was her second successful hatch.

I would rather have her hatch the eggs then incubate them, also yes, I live in Pa & it's been cold but they are in an insulated duck pen & since she has just started laying eggs again it will be a couple weeks before she lays enough to sit on them ( there is only 1 egg in the pen now ), so I will just keep my fingers crossed & wait & see what happens

Any domesticated duck that's just started laying wont go broody the very next week.
Even my calls don't normally go broody until they're over 2 years old.. (Calls duck are known for going broody quite often btw)

I live in NY where it's still in the teens and i'm currently incubating call duck eggs, Don't see why the OP couldn't ?
I wasn't say she couldn't, it's just easier when it's not so cold. That's all I was saying.

Hello..:frow I would collect the eggs till the weather gets nice. Momma hatched and raised Ducklings are easier although not as tame as human raised Ducklings.
You will notice first that the Hen builds a nest and starts laying eggs daily. She will cover the eggs till she decides she has enough and begins to set. Once she begins setting she will add her downy feathers from her belly to line her nest.
Good luck..

Thanks for all the info!!!! I incubated eggs last year when I lost my male & female, that's how I got my bubbas ( ducks ) that I have now & I was like a crazy person!!!! I would check on the incubator constantly day & night!!!! As far as the weather here I live in Punxsutawney, Pa & the weather here has for the most part been surprisingly mild, yes, it's the town of Punxsy Phil ( Groundhogs Day ) & he said were going too have an early spring, The groundhog is always right!!!!!

The answer to your question is that many breeds of ducks and chickens have had much of their desire to hatch their eggs bred out of them. The reason is if your raising them to produce lots of eggs (or meat) then it's a counter productive to have your hens stop laying to hatch and raise babies.

I would just collect the eggs and eat them until one of your birds goes broody, or you decide to hatch them yourself. Like the above post said, if you do either option it would be better to wait for warmer weather.

If one goes broody, awesome. But don't be too disappointed if she doesn't complete the task on her first try. Sometimes it takes them a few tries to get it right. If she fails you can always collect them and hatch them yourself.

Only bummer about that is getting the old flock to except new members that you introduce. It can be done, just have patience and do it slowly. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Best practice I have found is pen them close so they can get to know each other before having physical contact.

You will definitely know when and if she goes broody. They start acting really pissy. They chatter up a storm if someone does something they don’t like. My most gentle girl would fight with anyone who dare cross her while she was broody. She went into the pool whenever she felt like it and everyone else stayed clear because they knew she was a hag. It was comical. But I did feel a little sorry for her because she couldn’t help it. And like Millers Farm said, they hiss and puff their feathers at you if you come close to the nest. If your main objective is ducklings as quick as possible, then incubate them. If you just want ducklings this spring, wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom