Too high humidity in incubator

do you have any straws or plastic tubing to extend it? Put a staw on the end of the bulb and sneak it in the incubator
The tip is long enough to reach in and it doesn't affect the egg, so it works out well. it looks like the one on this picture
4203710479.jpg

This is a very helpful post for me. Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just started incubating eggs today for the first time. Long story how I got here. Wasn't by choice. :th I also didn't have time to hunt for the best incubator and bought the one available at my Wilco Farm Store. It has channels for water, but without adding any water it has read between 48 and 52 for several hours. I'm guessing I don't want to add water at all. When I first set it up, I added water to 2 channels and it went up to 60, then I put water in just one channel and it was up to 54 pretty constantly. So I took the water out entirely and now, 48-52. Does that sound right to you all? The humidity in my area will be between 60 and 80 for the next 10 days outside according to Weather.com.

This is a very helpful post for me. Thank you thank you thank you!!! I just started incubating eggs today for the first time. Long story how I got here. Wasn't by choice. :th I also didn't have time to hunt for the best incubator and bought the one available at my Wilco Farm Store. It has channels for water, but without adding any water it has read between 48 and 52 for several hours. I'm guessing I don't want to add water at all. When I first set it up, I added water to 2 channels and it went up to 60, then I put water in just one channel and it was up to 54 pretty constantly. So I took the water out entirely and now, 48-52. Does that sound right to you all? The humidity in my area will be between 60 and 80 for the next 10 days outside according to Weather.com.
It's fine just monitor air cell growth Did you or have you loaded eggs yet ? If so did you candle before loading . And what is you temperature ?Anywhere from 50 to 55 % humidity is considered good . 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit . 37.5 Celsius . Really really really keep a close eye on the temperature .

It's fine just monitor air cell growth Did you or have you loaded eggs yet ? If so did you candle before loading . And what is you temperature ?Anywhere from 50 to 55 % humidity is considered good . 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit . 37.5 Celsius . Really really really keep a close eye on the temperature .
Thanks. I'll stop worrying so much about the humidity then. But the temperature still has me perplexed. I have to ice water test 3 of my meat thermometers and they all read differently by a span of 2 or 3 degrees. I decided to trust the Cuisinart thermometer and double check it with the boiling water test. It read 212, so now it's in the incubator and I'll just go by those readings. :celebrate Now I'm waiting on an external hygrometer to test that, but it sounds like there are differing opinions on what that should read, so I guess I could get really accurate on the reading and still make the wrong choice of advice I follow. Since it is 50% without any water, and I can't figure out how to reduce humidity, I'll go with that. :confused: I did candle my eggs and even marked where I saw the air sack on all except one where I couldn't see one at all. I'll candle them all again on day six, and I'll also weigh them again on that day. So much to think about, and yet 2nd graders do it all the time with great success. :idunno

My A/C is on all the time. Seriously though, I live in a rain forest. :oops:
Most likely your hygrometer is pretty close . Your meat thermometer is most likely right on the mark. What kind of incubator is it ? picture please and don't be bashful . You pretty much have bto hatched from an egg to get it right the first time :lau. No air cell indicates a very fresh egg . AC is the best dehumidifier you can get . I have a drawer full of hygrometers & humidity probes .My first incubation was a nightmare . Shipped eggs junk incubators. I followed the book instructions .Took me forever to figure out the problems .s to the incubator company saying what is wrong . They said read the book:thwell I figured out what was wrong . Took the analog thermometer and hygrometer out and threw them away. Threw the dam book away too.:rant. Joined the BYC looking for answers to dying chickens. And learned a few tricks I hadn't learned the hard way . So keep your money .If the hygrometer is digital it is most likely right to within 2 % plus or minus. Close enough .Better to run a little dry than to wet . I read somewhere that a single heat spike that heats the egg up to 102 degrees or higher for one hour will kill more embryos , than running the humidity to high or to low for a week. I read some many web sites. Even read books and my wife's college text book. When all I had to do was join the BYC , And ask questions :oops:. So your already smarter than me :lau

Back
Top Bottom