Too hot for babies?

HeadHen

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Houston, TX
We are having an unusually hot summer and breaking records here. Everyday is minimum upper 80's and heat index regularly hitting 100+. It is also very humid (usually 50% or more) and lows at night are above 70. So of course now is when my 1 day old baby chicks will be arriving.
barnie.gif

I have never owned chickens before and I wanted them strictly for producing organic eggs for my family and neighbors (and also as pets because we all love animals here). I will be getting 9 Red sex link 9 Black sex link 5 Rhode island reds and 2 EE's, all pullets plus whatever else the hatchery throws in (hopefully no Roo's). They are due to arrive somewhere around July 24th.
My question is, I know they are supposed to be under a heat lamp while babies, but I'm worried that they will get overheated in this weather. Any suggestions to get them off to the most healthy start possible would be appreciated.
hugs.gif

They are going to brood (well protected) in my garage, which is a typical urban style concrete floored garage and not climate controlled. They will be in a plastic kiddie pool with litter. When they are a little bigger I will move them to their newly built coop and chicken tractors.
I have looked all over the internet but haven't been able to find information for keeping a flock in hot humid climates.

This is what I would do if it was me. Have the lamp were at night they can get under it if needed. use a 60 w light bulb.
Make sure that they have room to get away from it. Watch your chicks they will tell you if there too hot. I have 1 week old babies with a hen out side and its been hot 90 plus.

Quote:
Don't be surprised if a few roos sneak in. The sexing is almost completely accurate with the sex-links, but I've seen mistakes there too. With the others, the sexing accuracy is closer to 90%.
Attach a thermometer to the side of the kiddie pool and check it frequently during the day. Watch the chicks. Panting chicks that are staying as far away from the heat source as possible are telling you that they are too hot. By the way, my chicks started out in a kiddie pool with a PVC framed draft guard around it. It took about 2 weeks before they were jumping out of it and running everywhere!
wink.png

My baby ducks are doing well in the heat - they're a week old, and I made them a little enclosure outside, half shaded under a tree, with a little "roasting dish" pool...l they had a blast all day long, didn't seem bothered by the heat (it was 97 high today outside)

My coop was 104, and my adult chickens weren't too happy - I coul dnot let them out till later in the afternoon (guys working on the house) some were panting late in the day - I sprayed the coop and run with water a few times.

I think babies would be ok, they're not feathered out - make them a safe secure place outside in the shade, protected from all sides, and top and let them enjoy themselves during the day, move them in at night.

(Keep an eye on them for panting or looking uncomfortable, and provide cool water.. I added cold water about once every 30-45 minutes for the ducks)

Last edited:
I am with you on the heat - we are in the Austin area and I was worried about the chicks, who arrived last Wed. I had been planning on putting them straight in the coop, in the dog crate I am using as the brooder, but decided it was too hot in there, so I have them on the carport during the day and in the workshop at night. I used a lamp the first night and lost one girl
sad.png
. I put it away and figured they would be ok in the shop at night, as it is closed up. They have been - no need for a lamp. I would open your garage doors during the day tho, to give them a breeze - that would mean you would need to surround the pool.

I used a kiddie pool with the Guineas I got a year or so ago and bought one of those portable wire playyards to surround the pool and then laid some old lattice on top to keep the birds in and cats out. I did loose two with this set-up however as our cats grabbed them thru the wire when the birds got too close to the fence. This time with the chicks I used twist ties and cardboard from the inserts of liquor boxes and put a solid cardboard wall along the bottom part of the playyard fence. The cats watch now, but can't get to them.

When I move them to the coop, I plan on putting in a fan that blows out to create breeze.

Good Luck - this summer looks like it's going to be a HOT one!

my pullett girls are due here on or after july 25th.an ill prolly just put the light on them at nite.i feel with a light during the day the fuzzy butts will roast.

I have also been quite worried about this. Its been 110+ here in arizona and I actually called the hatchery and pushed the date another month. I know people raise chickens here all the time but I am afraid of losing my first group because of the heat. I am already overprotective I hate to see how I'll be when they finally get here. .
lol.png

I'm overprotective too! My DH just shakes his head and says all the farmers in IN, where he is from, would laugh at how much I fuss over my girls.
tongue.png
I am having fun with them!

Quote:
My SO and his entire family were commercial chicken farmers. Pretty much every farm around here has at least a few commercial chicken houses. You should hear the teasing I get!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom