too late in season to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmichicks, Oct 12, 2009.

1. luvmichicks

luvmichicks New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a young rooster that is just starting to crow and is about to figure out how to breed. I have a yr. old Barred Rock Hen that is still laying but I know she'll be done in a few weeks because of lack of daylight. I live in San Diego so it's not too cold, could she lay fertilized eggs and hatch them this late in the season?

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    IF she wants to lay on them she could.. they do that all days of the year.. IF she gets the broody bug.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have a Barred Rock X White Rock hen that is going broody right now.

Imp

4. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My Buff Orpingtons has been broody for a week.... I put eggs under her last week

[​IMG]

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    I have 2 Black Australorps, 1 American Game & 1 OEGB that are all broody for the 2nd time this year right now. I also have a Mille that's broody for the first time ever. Mine don't seem to care what time of year it is, they just wanna be broody.

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    No, not at all!

I have 4 OEGB hens on about 40 eggs at the moment [​IMG] Gonna have to find homes for LOTS of little chicks this winter.

7. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a beautiful white silkie that went broody in Jan then again in May and is now hatchin' her third clutch... she is just over a year old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by