Too Many Apples!

Our neighbor has several apple trees and has been giving us a bag every few days, but the apples all seem to have worms... so we're peeling one-a-day and feeding them to the chickens.
big_smile.png

I just bought two half bushels from the local farm, 1 Rome & 1 Gala.

4 Romes plus 3 gala in each batch of applesauce peeled then cored & sliced with a gadget I have
version 1
1/2 sugar water to cover heavy sprinkle of cinnamon, baked down & pureed
version 2
1/4 c brown sugar 1/4 white sugar HEAVY cinnamon, cover with water bake down & puree

skins go to the chickens & cores to the dogs

Also...
4 Romes per pie... I am arranging them in pie plates, baking them most of the way and then sliding the guts into ziplock freezer bags for premade pie filling

And
Juice of course... half & half rome/gala and then skin & pulp from the juicer go into baked breads & muffins

and my favorite easy apple snacks
1 rome apple
1 pot pie tin
brown sugar/cinnamon mixed to crumbles with a lot of granola
core/slice apple with my gadget (press down & presto) leave intact remove core, drizzle with honey & heavily sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon/granola & apple pie spice and bake. Serve with organic vanilla scoop

any extra apples get juiced, pulp & skin frozen for future breads

speaking of which.. I better go get busy, them apples won't core themselves!

Last edited by a moderator:
My chickens, who have ignored the apples all summer, just figured out that apples are yummy. So now they're cleaning up* the apples under the tree!
wee.gif

*if "cleaning up" means that they peck once or twice at an apple before moving to the next one

I bought two apple peeler, corer, slicers and have been making them into canned pie filling. My hubby adn son have been helping. It is a lot of fun. (Well it was for the first 3000 apples
lol.png
)They are so good that way!
I have about a zillion left to do and have made 15 jars so far. We have no money for presents to send to my family this year, so guess they will be getting apple pie filling!!!!
tongue.png

I leave the peels on when I make applesauce and just grind it up.
smile.png
We love it that way and I think it is more nutritious.
smile.png
However, I am not sure scrubbing them is much easier than peeling them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom