Too Many Apples!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by L&Schickens, Oct 13, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have just picked out my first apple tree ever and not only do I have a zillion apples, many of them are bruised, I am sure due to my less then gently handling of them.
    Anyway, I think they are all going to end up as apple sauce or pie filling.
    Can I core them and just boil them without peeling? Will the peels come off easily that way, or do I have to peel them all?

2. mama3chix

mama3chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Hi, I just cut them in quarters and cut out the bad spots, then I put them in the pot with some water as they simmer, I keep adding apples and a little more water (you don't want them to burn ), then after they are "just right" I add sugar to taste, then I can them in a bath canner, They taste WONDERFUL on a cold winters day.Enjoy. [​IMG]

Forgot to add- I cut off the skin,too

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    OK, looks like I need to get an apple peeler. I have 6 large trash bags full of apples to process!! [​IMG]

4. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

You may also want to check out Steam Juicers. Grapes, apples, berries, pears, are easily converted into juice for canning, jelly making etc.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I love fall apples.

I do fried apples as a side dish. I do apple butter and pie filling. My kids love baked apples for dessert. We do apples baked with squash and prunes served with pork. Apples are good so many ways! We juice and drink cider too.

6. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    I am interested in hearing how you fry apples?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Butter, cast iron frying pan, sliced apples fry till fork tender.

Add sugar and cinnamon for a sweet side dish.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I canned apple pie filling with the miniscule apples from my tree (talk about a labor of love!). Tonight I made apple turnovers with a jar that didn't seal and some phyllo we found on clearance. Cheap cheap!! I think that all 5 turnovers might have cost 50 cents total. WOW.

My friend's apples became applesauce. We're going to have our first jar of applesauce with pork chops later this week.

YAY!!

9. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    Thanks, MissPrissy, that sounds easy enough.

10. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

i store them and feed to the donkeys, llama , cows , ect all winter !!!! they love 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by