too many bantam roos... fatting them up.. is this a good idea???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fancie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Okay what I'm thinking of doing with my roos is stop them free roaming the yard, feed them the meat bird feed, and go ahead with that. This will fatten them up right?? About how long will I need to do this till ther a more eatable weight?? they are about 8 weeks now.

I have to feed them meat bird food right?? The normal chick starter won't cut it right. That is what they are on right now.

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Anything over 20% will work as long is it's not medicated. I would put them on a turkey grower personally.

They are ok to eat... chicken is chicken.... even though they may look more like quail.

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I've heard that some of the bantam breeds are very good to eat as long as you don't mind extremely small carcasses.

I would say by all means go for it. Let's face it, how many people are you going to find who want to adopt roosters? I think it's a great use of unneeded birds.

I would let them reach at least 12 weeks before butchering them. Other than than, I would feel their breasts for optimal fleshing out before you kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by