Too many hawks

Roostie

Chirping
May 1, 2019
Northern lower Michigan
Hey. We live in the woods but our yard is really open to hawk attacks. We've had a few really close calls but thankfully nobody has met their doom...yet...

Does anybody know if there's a way to keep hawks away??
(Hehe that kinda rhymed!)(sry I have a weird humor...)

There's really not much that will deter hawks, especially once they know the chickens are there. I've read on these forums where a hawk actually swooped into a person's garage while they were standing there to attack a brooder pen of chicks, and I've walked right up on one killing a squirrel in my driveway without it moving to fly away, so they aren't afraid of much.

Enclosing a run with aviary netting is the most foolproof solution.

Welcome! Have a safe covered run and coop that are large enough for your flock to be happy when locked in. If there is a hawk attack, keep the birds in for at least ten days or longer, until that hawk give up and moves on.
Bantams and young birds are most at risk too.
Some dogs will be safe with chickens, and may chase or intimidate hawks for you.
Shrubs and other hiding places help; even a picnic table can shelter birds sometimes.
Stringing fishing line, parachute cord, and hanging old CDs have helped some people keep hawks away.
At least a hawk will only take one bird at a time every few days; miserable, but not like a dog attack can be.
Mary

Barring a covered run, the best defense against a hawk attack is a BIG and protective rooster willing to sacrifice himself for his ladies. But a roo will also watch the skies and sound the alarm for the flock if a hawk does show up, giving them time to scramble for cover before the dive.

There's really not much that will deter hawks, especially once they know the chickens are there. I've read on these forums where a hawk actually swooped into a person's garage while they were standing there to attack a brooder pen of chicks, and I've walked right up on one killing a squirrel in my driveway without it moving to fly away, so they aren't afraid of much.

Enclosing a run with aviary netting is the most foolproof solution.
Wow! Our hawks aren't quite that fearless.
My chickens have been free rangeing there whole lives I'd hate to lock them up...
I'm just gonna keep hopeing that my chicken "radar" is gonna keep working unless I can think of something else

Barring a covered run, the best defense against a hawk attack is a BIG and protective rooster willing to sacrifice himself for his ladies. But a roo will also watch the skies and sound the alarm for the flock if a hawk does show up, giving them time to scramble for cover before the dive.
What about getting a couple birds of a really flighty breed? Or just a rooster of a flighty breed, so there are more eyes on the sky? I have heard of the idea but never heard of any first hand accounts of that working.

I think some hawks are just more ambitious than others. According to a neighbor, while I was at work one day, I had a hawk slam into one of my half inch hardware cloth walls and knock itself out for a good couple minutes before stumbling/flying off. The neighbor thought it might have killed itself. So even obvious netting and hardware cloth don't always stop them from trying.

Good luck!

I
I agree,I had a rooster that was great at warning everyone that there was a hawk. I didn't lose any but I don't have him anymore. Since then, I have lost 2 and almost a a third hen.

Back
Top Bottom