Too many roos?!

bantam_babies

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2017
South Bend, IN
In April we adopted 6 (advertised as) bantam pullets. They are now just over two months old, and we have come to the realization that at least two, possibly three of them are roosters. They have spurs, big red combs/wattles, and one or two of them is crowing regularly.

My question is: how do I manage this? I was hoping that I would be able to keep them all, but I'm worried a 1:1 male to female ratio would result in an unhealthy flock.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_113153_429.jpg
    IMG_20170607_113153_429.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20170614_181749_438.jpg
    IMG_20170614_181749_438.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 4
The vast majority of time bantams do not come sexed. Whoever was selling them misadvertised them.

If you really want to keep all 6 then you may want to consider keeping a bachelor pad for the males and have the females in their own coop.

I was wondering myself what the ratio should be. I have five hens and two males. All was really supposed to be pullets but turned out roos too.

The vast majority of time bantams do not come sexed. Whoever was selling them misadvertised them.

If you really want to keep all 6 then you may want to consider keeping a bachelor pad for the males and have the females in their own coop.
Thank you for your reply! We purchased them at Rural King, which I have slowly learned might have been our first mistake. We also have no idea what breed they are as that information was not available either. I'll definitely consider the second coop! We mostly free range them - would seperate coops still be the best solution if they're still out in the yard together regularly?

If I were in that situation I would wait until it starts to become an issue, select the best cockerel and rehome the other two. That's not to say the bachelor pad idea won't work, but that's the route I personally would go.

If I were in that situation I would wait until it starts to become an issue, select the best cockerel and rehome the other two. That's not to say the bachelor pad idea won't work, but that's the route I personally would go.

I think I'll probably wait and see if any of them become aggressive or bothersome before I decide on a second coop. We have little kids, so I don't have the luxury of tolerating mean pets. Thanks for your input!

I agree with keesmom. Or keep the roos locked up if the kids are outside. You'll have to really keep an eye on them.

Well hens-only was my initial plan buying pullets, but apparently that's not what I did haha. So far the boys haven't been problematic whatsoever - they won't get anywhere near the kids OR me (except for one friendly one who will let us get close but then darts off). I was hoping with smaller birds it wouldn't be an serious safety issue since they should only be 1-2 lbs? Am I kidding myself with that? I wanted to give them a chance.

I'm also still holding out a secret hope that I only have one boy and the other two will miraculously start laying some day I've only seen one of them crow.

Back
Top Bottom