Too many Roos?

Buttercup14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 26, 2014
I'm new to chickens and have a couple of questions. I want chickens for eggs.

I bought 6 'females' who now are 12 weeks old. Out of those 3 are Roos. After their initial squabbles there is a 'head' roo and so far get along good. One of them is the most docile out of all 6.

I also have 4 six week old americaunas and 2 are starting to crow. They will be hopefully moved outside (slowly) this week.

My questions are:
Will it be bad to introduce/mix the americaunas into the 12 week olds?

Is it ok for the flock to have 5 roosters with 5 hens? Should I look for more females? Should I look for homes for the Roos?

If you wanted chickens for eggs, I'd get rid of all the roosters. Yes, they're pretty and all that, but they cost a fortune to feed and don't produce a single thing.

If you're determined to keep one, pick your favorite and keep one.

They're only 12 weeks old, they're still babies yet. Once they hit puberty and start ganging up on the pullets you may decide roosters aren't for you at all.

If you wanted chickens for eggs, I'd get rid of all the roosters. Yes, they're pretty and all that, but they cost a fortune to feed and don't produce a single thing. 

They're only 12 weeks old, they're still babies yet. Once they hit puberty and start ganging up on the pullets you may decide roosters aren't for you at all. 

Excellent advice!

Thank you!

When/what age is the best time to get rid of them?
Or is it worthwhile keeping them for meat? And if yes what age do u let them grow to?

Thank you!

When/what age is the best time to get rid of them?
Or is it worthwhile keeping them for meat? And if yes what age do u let them grow to?
I would get rid of them ASAP if that's your plan. If you want to grow them out, it depends on how big you want them. Non-meat birds take longer and don't look quite as nice and plump and meaty as the chicken you buy at the grocery store. People will tell you that they're tough, but if you cook them low and slow, they'll be just fine. The meat has more flavor and texture than grocery store meat, too, so be prepared for that. I don't mean it as a bad thing. I will go without chicken for months if I run out at home and it's a choice of go without or buy from the store. Personally, I'd separate them into a bachelor coop if you can and grow them out for the freezer.

I'm new to chickens and have a couple of questions. I want chickens for eggs.

I bought 6 'females' who now are 12 weeks old. Out of those 3 are Roos. After their initial squabbles there is a 'head' roo and so far get along good. One of them is the most docile out of all 6.

I also have 4 six week old americaunas and 2 are starting to crow. They will be hopefully moved outside (slowly) this week.

My questions are:
Will it be bad to introduce/mix the americaunas into the 12 week olds?

Is it ok for the flock to have 5 roosters with 5 hens? Should I look for more females? Should I look for homes for the Roos?

I think I have three roos and three hens
I really don't want to kill them, I certainly couldn't eat them
Nobody wants them at the livestock markets
I love the idea of a bachelor coop

Ok I'm going to separate them into a different coop to raise them for meat.
3 I'm positive are roos but 2 I'm unsure.

What do you mean by ganging up on?? We are first time chicken people too, and have 13....unsure how many roosters we will end up with so paying attention to these types of threads.

Ganging up on as in mating. Cockerels mature faster than pullets, and young chicken mating isn't always a pretty picture. Young cockerels get excited when one tries to mate and often several try to mate the same pullet at the same time. Not so much fun for the pullet, and usually pretty distressing for the owner.

With younger cockerels and mature hens, it's not as much of an issue as the hens are older and understand the mating ritual better.

If you do a search for posts by username Ridgerunner, he spells out the mating ritual in nice detail in several of his posts, and things that can cause problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom