Too many roosters or mean rooster?

Mae98

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
I have 8 chickens in my flock, all about 15 weeks weeks old. We have been trying to determine who is boy who is girl, and I think 3 of 8 may be roosters. I plan to go down to one rooster, but am having a hard time deciding who to keep who to rehome. I would love to keep my black rooster, but I have noticed he literally rips the feathers out of one of my pullets and will grab her by her poof (they are sizzles). Will rehoming the other two roosters help this rooster from picking on my hen, or is the rooster the problem? My other two (assuming) roosters I have also seen pick on this particular pullet, but not near as aggressively as the black.

Pictures for fun and visuals
The (assumed) boys
D7692D3E-12CB-462C-AE38-85A60A7AC460.jpeg
IMG_4442.jpeg
IMG_4325.jpeg

The one pullet that gets picked on by all three:(

IMG_4295.jpeg
IMG_4373.jpeg
IMG_4257.jpeg

I'd remove all 3 roosters before they seriously hurt the pullet. Being a crested bird they are sometimes more prone to brain injuries from pecking. Stress from being harassed can also make them more prone to illness.

If all are harassing her I'd assume they are all males. I'd pen them separately until they mature and settle more.

You could also try removing two and see how a single one does. Not sure which you are thinking of keeping, nor how many pullets or hens you have. That can help decide how to proceed.

Back
Top Bottom