Too Many Roosters.

Sadly we are down to only one rooster, Elvis. Our Jungle Fowl rooster, Hei Hei was 7 to 8 years old. He was attacked by a predator or another chicken today after my husband let the chickens out. My husband did not see it as he had already gone to work. This makes me sad as he was my favorite chicken. Life happens, but I thought he was going to live another +7 years since Jungle Fowl can live to be 15 according to the internet.

Kneeling! yes the younger roo will kneel in a submissive kneel just like the hens do when they’re about to mate when the older dominant roo is in play.
I can see where someone may need more roosters, I’ve heard a rooster can service as many as 10 hens. This is just a thing I read
Chicken behavior is amazing.
Maybe squatting would have been a better choice of words. 😊

Sadly we are down to only one rooster, Elvis. Our Jungle Fowl rooster, Hei Hei was 7 to 8 years old. He was attacked by a predator or another chicken today after my husband let the chickens out. My husband did not see it as he had already gone to work. This makes me sad as he was my favorite chicken. Life happens, but I thought he was going to live another +7 years since Jungle Fowl can live to be 15 according to the internet.
Sorry for your loss. 😭**Hugs**

So sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a favorite rooster, hurts worse than losing a hen. {{{hugs}}}

Really I think that 15 years might be a possibility - but it is rather an unusual possibility. I really don't think you would get another 7 years out of him if you kept him in your house. Sometimes the internet is unrealistic.

However, I am sympathetic with you a good rooster is tough to loose no matter when it happens.
Thank you for the information. I wasn't sure how long jungle fowl lived. I found out yesterday from my mother-in-law that he may have been even older than 7 or 8. He was the last jungle fowl on the farm and the other youngest ones were from 2014 as chicks. Their first jungle fowl came from a zoo in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom