Too much apple cider vinegar in water! Help!

springchicken81

Chirping
May 17, 2021
Framingham, MA
I am new to raising chickens and today one of our 6 chickies (3 weeks old) died suddenly overnight. No signs of illness or weakness in our other chicks. Honestly we're not really sure what happened. To be safe, we put some ACV in our remaining healthy chicks' water to protect against any possible toxins. I misunderstood the instructions from the woman I spoke to at the hatchery and added 1/3 of a cup of acv to a quart of water (instead of 1/3 of a tablespoon!!!). I realized my mistake after about 4 hours of that water sitting in the brooder. I don't know much of the acv water they drank.

Is it possible I poisoned them??? They're all acting fine, and drank a TON after I realized my mistake and swapped in 100% fresh water. My guess is they didn't drink much when the vinegar was in the water. Will 4 hours of highly acidic water kill my remaining chicks!?!?

I am new to raising chickens and today one of our 6 chickies (3 weeks old) died suddenly overnight. No signs of illness or weakness in our other chicks. Honestly we're not really sure what happened. To be safe, we put some ACV in our remaining healthy chicks' water to protect against any possible toxins. I misunderstood the instructions from the woman I spoke to at the hatchery and added 1/3 of a cup of acv to a quart of water (instead of 1/3 of a tablespoon!!!). I realized my mistake after about 4 hours of that water sitting in the brooder. I don't know much of the acv water they drank.

Is it possible I poisoned them??? They're all acting fine, and drank a TON after I realized my mistake and swapped in 100% fresh water. My guess is they didn't drink much when the vinegar was in the water. Will 4 hours of highly acidic water kill my remaining chicks!?!?
They may get a little diarrhea, but they would be perfectly fine. Don’t stress about the chick that died; sometimes it just happens (I’m sorry for your loss, though). As long as everyone is healthy and thriving, leave them be. ACV can help support a healthy biodome but it doesn’t really help anything that is fatal.

Back
Top Bottom