Too Much Grit

mliga

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Kingwood, WV
Hi everyone!

Can chicks eat too much grit? I put a pan of grit in the brooder for the chicks to scratch around in and I was worried that they were eating too much of it. Is that possible? The chicks are 3 days old.

I plan on giving them a few greens this weekend and I knew that they needed grit, and it was also very entertaining for them.

Thanks
Michelle

Yes, they can pig out on it and get impacted crops. If the are going to eat something other than chick feed, just sprinkle a small bit on their food just as you would salt your own food. Otherwise everything they need is in the chick starter. Have fun with your chickies, they grow up fast!

Hi, thanks for answering my question. We put a pan of grit in with the chicks, it was in there about an hour. Do you think they have a risk of impacted crop and if they do how do we treat it?

Thanks
Michelle

I think they'll be fine. An hour is not long. When my chicks free range with mother hen or are out side running around... they have free access to a few tons of gravel used for the drive way and turn around from the house to garage.

Back
Top Bottom